Chapter 10

"Funny seeing you here again," Andy said. Although, by the tone of his voice, now both of them knew that Andy had been aware of Adia's presence many times before. The interesting thing about his voice was that he wasn't angry. He didn't hold grudges. He was forgiving.

The Saturday crowd began to disperse after the music had stopped. Some purchased one last cookie or drink first, but they were gone quickly. After all, many had other errands to make before returning home. Although some, like Adia, had come just for the music.

"Um, yeah. I was in the neighborhood..." Adia attempted to climb out of the hole that she had dug herself in with the many, many not-so-secret viewings. It was useless. Andy was in charge of the conversation, now.

"Oh, yes, of course..." Andy said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry," Adia blurted. The regret that had been eating at her for much longer than it should have finally took over. "I should have never--"

"I get it. It's okay," Andy said.

"How can you say that? 'It's okay?' No. It's not okay. It never will be."

Eli slid his chair away several feet and began strumming his guitar to himself, giving the two of them more privacy. Plus, it was just plain awkward.

"Only if you don't let it be," Andy said.

"I punched you in Walmart. And you're cool with it? Why don't you hate my guts?"

"Because it's not worth it. Why hold grudges against such a beautiful girl when she made a mistake? You think I don't know anything at all about girls, but I know some. Enough."

Adia was silent, full of shock at his forgiveness and flattery at his compliment on her beauty. Why was this happening? Him forgiving her? This was too good to be true.

"I...uh..." Adia bit her lip and ran her fingers through her hair. "I guess we didn't exactly meet on normal circumstances..."

"Well then, maybe we could start over?"

Adia was too afraid and overwhelmed to speak. What if something she said ruined the moment? What if the slightest noise would cause her to wake from what was certainly a dream?

All she could do was nod.

"Great," Andy said with a smile. "We'll meet here tomorrow at six after Eli and I finish for the day. And I'll make sure there's plenty of Peace Tea for the both of us."

Adia nodded again, her lips curling up into a wide grin.