Chapter 9

Weeks passed. Andy and Eli continued to sell drinks and snacks every weekend, even after they'd raised enough money for the guitar. Eli brought his guitar with him everywhere he went. Andy played his own guitar, now, and him and Eli both sang for the hungry spectators.

Andy took the lead. Eli sung backup and strung basic chords in the background to give the music more depth. Half of their profits came from music tips, whereas the rest was actually for the food.

Adia would occasionally hide in the crowd, listening to Andy's singing and guitar strumming. Sometimes, when the tip bucket was passed around, she'd drop in a few dollars. It was a way of penance for her mistakes, and she believed that Andy was completely unaware.

Sometimes, Adia want very secret as she hid in the crowd. Andy could recognize those fuzzy brown curls anywhere, and if they were peeking out from behind someone's head, he would see them, and he would know she was there.

Andy thought about calling her out and saying something rude, like a couple of his friends would, but there was something about this girl that made him leave her to her secrecy. Deep inside, he was hoping that she'd come out and speak to him again.

As the weeks continued to go by, he noticed her getting closer and closer to the front, yet she always hit behind others. But that one day, when the boy in front of her leaned forward to grab a cookie, her cover was blown, and eye contact was made.

Andy stopped playing.