Chapter 4: Mates

Arielle pushed me inside what I assumed was her room. It was mostly black and cluttered with emo rock band posters, and clothes. She wasn't exactly the preppy cheerleader. She almost tripped over her guitar that was laying amongst the clutter to sit on her bed.

She squealed. "Okay so basically a mate is your other half, your soul mate, your missing puzzle piece." She was practically swooning. "You meet them when you're both 16. Usually you can tell the minute you turn wolf if you already have a mate. If not then they're younger than you, or in a different pack."

"Okay...? So like you have to be with this dude forever?" I said, completely freaked by the thought of commitment.

"Yeah, isn't it great!" She flopped on her bed. We had all done a fair amount of dating, but I never kept a serious relationship for fear of getting attached.

"What happens if he's in anther pack?" I asked.

"The person with a lower ranking joins the one with a higher rank."

"Ah ok" I scratched my head "what if you don't like them?"

"You'll learn to, duh. Everyone ends up falling for their mates it's in your genes. They're imprinted on your soul. Their memory in your wolf blood"

"Who's your mate?" I asked, Arielle was already 16.

"I haven't found him yet... But I hope it's someone I know. Usually the person is within a year of your 16th as well, so chances are it's either Jake, Linus, Jonathan, or Adam." I didn't really know the last two but nodded anyway. "For both of us, now that your 16" she added.

"Why are they so important anyway, being single is sooo much easier" I groaned.

"You don't get it. Once you get a mate it's like a whole new experience of life. Everything seems better. They help you and protect you and ugh." She sighed again. This was getting way to emotional and dramatic for me.

"That's nice, so are we the only pack or what's the deal." I said changing the subject.

"No there's the Wolf Rage pack. We choose not to really associate with them, some are okay like Adam, but the rest, like Jonathan and Michelle, are complete morons."

We laughed and began walking back down to the infirmity.

"So since you have to live here now, you get a room on one of the top floors, because you are a soon to be alpha." Said a random girl who looked like a maid. She gently requested for me to follow her and I did. I tried making conversation but she seemed intent on not speaking to me.

"What's your deal? Did I do something?" I stood confused in the elevator, damn this house was huge.

"Of course not Madame, but I am an omega, I am not supposed to speak to you." She bowed her head submissively.

I made an o with my mouth and frowned. "That won't do, you can talk to me" I said "if you want of course"

She brightened up. "Sure!" We began chatting and she was super sweet. Her name was Evelyn, and she was turning 16 next week. She had a thin face with strait hair that curled at the ends, it starting at a bright brown and turning red. She had freckles dotting her face, and greenish blue eyes. She was a little on the chunky side but still gorgeous.

We talked all the way up to my room and I was surprised when I got there. Evelyn left me to explore and my gosh it was huge. It had an elegant couch and TV on the right and on the left a 4 poster bed with a blue and white bed spread. There was a desk on the side by the bed against the wall with a mini fridge. Two doors stood, one leading to a large walk in closet, one going to a bathroom, and there was a third door that was quite small. It looked more like a dog good, and it completely blended in with the wall. You had to really look to see it.

I had to crawl to get through it but in side was a small room with a ladder leased up against the side. I could barley fit in the room but I scooted up the ladder, thirsting for adventure. At the top was a small latch and inside a reading nook dome. A dome made of entirely glass. It was small, I could stand up in the center and could barley lay down in it but it was perfect. Laden with pillow and blankets this would be a perfect get away spot, for me to think.

One of the panels in the glass dome also moved allowing my access on the roof of the 15 story pack house. I saw 2 more books on different parts of the roof, but none that I had easy access too. I swallowed the lump in my throat and climbed down steadily.

I was terrified of heights but if I had a nook like that in the palm of my hand I could learn to like it.