Chapter 1

~~Adelaide~~

"Baby you light up my world like nobody else! The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed, but when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell, you don't know, oh oh, you don't know you're beautiful! That's what makes you beautiful!!" I wake up to my best friend, Acadia, singing.

I cover my head with my pillow, "Be quiet! I want to go back to sleep!" I close my eyes, only to feel the bed shake as she jumps on the bed.

"Wake up sleepyhead!!"

I whack her with the pillow, "I'm not a morning person and you know that."

Acadia sits cross-legged on the bed beside me, "Me neither. But today is a very big day!!"

I roll over, facing away from her. "It's my birthday. Big deal." I yawn and rest my head on my hands, since she has my pillow now.

"Adelaide!! Not just any birthday!! It's your sweet sixteen!! You only get your sweet sixteen once!"

I sit up and lean against the wall, accepting the fact that I am not getting any more sleep. "What's so great about the sixteenth birthday? It's the same as when I turned fifteen and it'll be the same when I turn seventeen."

She rolls her eyes, "You are such a party pooper!"

I snatch my pillow and lay down again, "Wake me in another hour and then we'll talk."

Acadia makes an annoyed face, "Fine. Only if you promise me you'll get up in an hour."

"Deal." I pull the blanket up and close my eyes. Finally. Peace and quiet.

I start to drift off to sleep when the door slams open, "ADELAIDE!! IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!" My nine year old sister, Mikayla, screams as she runs in, making me jump.

I groan, "I'm not getting any more sleep, am I?"

Mikayla jumps on the bed, "Nope!" She sounds so cheerful and happy. I wish I was a morning person like her. Well, my whole family are morning people, except me.

Acadia laughs, "You might as well get up, Laidy." That's her nickname for me, pronounced 'lady.'

I drag myself out of bed, "Fine. I dislike y'all very much right now."

Mikayla giggles, "You know you love us!"

I roll my eyes, "Fine. I do. Now let me get ready!" I walk into my bathroom and shut the door. I wash my face, brush my teeth and then run a hairbrush through my blonde curls.

When I open the door again, Acadia and Mikayla are gone. I change from my pajama pants to some jeans, a white tank top and a blue cardigan before going downstairs.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADELAIDE!" My entire family (Plus Acadia and minus my older brother) yells. I smile and look at the faces of everyone.

There's my mom and dad, Acadia, my two older sisters, Jessica, 21, and Madeleine, 19, nine year old Mikayla and her twin, Michael. My oldest brother, Steven, is 24. He's serving in the Army over in Afghanistan.

My mom comes over and give me a hug, "I can't believe you're sixteen!! My little baby is growing up!"

I laugh, "That's the way life works, Mom."

Then my dad walks over, "Adelaide. We have something for you." He hands me this box. On the front is a picture of a cell

phone.

I look up, "No way! Y'all are tricking me aren't you?? I'll bet there's something else in the box!" I open it to find I was wrong. Sitting in the box is the phone pictured on the front.