“Barely a day into adulthood and this is what you’re doing, hm Luke?” Mr. Sumedh said, peering at me above his glasses with clear brown eyes – eyes that Maya had inherited.

Stop thinking about her eyes.

 “Erm – yes sir, sorry sir.”

 Maya giggled and Mrs. Sumedh rolled her eyes.

 “You don’t have to call me sir,” Mr. Sumedh said, chuckling and I shifted awkwardly.

 “Sorry,” I mumbled. “It’s a habit with my dad when he yells at me, so….”

 Mrs. Sumedh smiled kindly at me. “You both must be tired, I –”

“Maya, off to bed,” Mr. Sumedh interjected and Maya got up quickly, scurrying towards the door. “Luke, I want to see you in my study for a minute.”

 My eyes widened and Maya turned around at the doorway, gaping at me, but I ignored her, not wanting to give anything away, and she walked out quickly, shutting the door behind her. Mrs. Sumedh too got up, patting my shoulder as she walked past with a smile on her face, and then Mr. Sumedh stood up and gestured for me to follow him.

 We went into his study, where I’d been only once before. He sat down behind his desk, in his imposing leather chair, and as he removed his glasses and polished them on his neatly ironed shirt, he reminded me irresistibly of Morpheus, which scared me even more.

I am standing in front of a man who happens to be my girlfriend’s dad and incidentally he doesn’t know that his daughter is dating me – this can’t end well.

He gestured towards the seat in front of the desk, a small knowing smile on his good natured but still I-take-nobody’s-shit face.

 “Sit.”

 I nodded, trying to dispel the dryness in my mouth. Then I sat.

 Mr. Sumedh sat back in his chair and crossed his legs, putting one ankle on the other knee.

 “Are you going to tell me the real reason you were in the hotel pool at three in the morning with my daughter, Luke?”

Oh fuck, fuck, fuck.

 I licked my lips and swallowed again.

 “Mr. Sumedh, I –”

 “You?”

 I didn’t know what to say – I was quailing under his gaze.

You’re such a fucking wimp, Luke.

He spoke up again.

  “You’re a responsible man, Luke. You’re not like other boys. You’re smart. You’re talented, capable. Tell me what really went on in your head. I’m not stupid, remember that.”

This is it, I told myself, surreptitiously wiping my palms on my jeans as I dropped my gaze to the edge of the rosewood desk. The moment of truth.

 “Mr. Sumedh, if I were to tell you the truth…”

 He raised his eyebrow, waiting for me to continue.

 “Yes?”

 I swallowed.

 “I…I love your daughter. Very much.”

At this his expression changed into one of pure and utter surprise but I went on.

“And I know people don’t usually take an eighteen year old’s word for that, but…sir, I know. I know that…that I’m in love with her, and I just….I don’t know anything else. I’m so sorry we kept it from you, I really am, and I’m asking for your permission now, sir.”