"What's the plan, bro-bro?" Mabel grinned.

"Yeah, dude. What kind of epic monster adventure are we going on?" Soos beamed.

The boy did his best to explain, serious, "Okay, we're going to look around the forest border for strange and magical creatures. The journal explains that many of them try and get into the town to steal food but we're going to catch them before they do. Today we'll have to find out what's getting in and where they're coming from and then we can set up some traps. How does that sound? Is it foolproof enough?"

"Sure, sounds cool." Wendy nodded to Dipper and gave him a thumbs up. Bill stayed quiet in his mind.

"Great. Wendy, go with Mabel and scout that end of the forest," he said, pointing to the left. "Watch for suspicious activity and meet back here if you find anything. Soos and I will take that side." He pointed to the right. "We'll search until lunchtime, so basically around one if we don't meet up sooner. But I have a good feeling about this hunt . . . Any objections?"

"Yup!" Mabel piped up.

"What is it?"

"If I'm going with Wendy then how are you going to propose to her?"

Dipper hurriedly shot down that question, "Nobody's doing anything romantic! I told you, Mabel. Also, Wendy and I are just friends. Ask her if you don't believe me. Okay? Alright, that conversation is over. Come on, Soos. Let's find us something special." With that, the two males headed further along the edge of the woods, leaving Mabel and Wendy to search the other end. He was glad to finally let himself relax, comfortable with mystery hanging in the air, its aura like a soothing, fun-filled waterfall. This is going to be amazing.

More like fun for me! Bill giggled, continuing to watch. He knew of the possible future outcomes of this adventure, and most of them weren't all that fun or amazing for Dipper.

Dipper didn't seem to understand Bill's meaning, simply continuing ahead as he listened to Soos walking along, snacking on his bag of chips. He peered into the forest, the layer of thick leaves blocking out much of the sunlight and engulfing most of the background in shadow despise the brightness and heat of the day. A woodpecker could be heard, tapping away at a tree. Cicadas buzzed from somewhere near them. Leaves rustled ahead to reveal the small shape of a brown mouse that watched them approach before scampering away. It was rather peaceful. Too peaceful. Dipper glanced over at Soos, seeing him calm as ever. Something doesn't feel right . . . it's way too normal around here.

You're right about that, Pine Tree. Very suspicious . . . The calm before the storm . . . Bill muttered the last part and then shut up, not wanting to give anything about his plans away to the boy. You might want to be prepared; something will happen any minute now . . . Bill warned.

Dipper, now more wary than before, scanned the forest, shoulders stiff. What is going on? What's here? I don't see anything . . . except trees. His gaze swept the area, once, twice, thrice. The undergrowth stood undisturbed.

"Dipper . . ." Soos started, alarm in his voice as he pointed ahead of them. "Dude! . . . I think I just saw that tree move!"

"What?" the twelve year-old glanced around, not spotting anything out of the ordinary. "Where?"

"Dawg! There it is again!" the man cried, throwing a corn chip powerfully at a nearby part of the forest. It hit the bark of an oak tree, it doing nothing in return.

Dipper lifted an eyebrow in slight disbelief, although Bill's warning coupled with Soos' alarm caused him to doubt the serenity of the area. "Are you sure you —"