Ravenfoot nodded. "We could split up. Brookpaw and I could track down the scent and you two could continue your tour."

"But—" Amberpaw cut himself off.

Brookpaw knew he wanted to come along, too. He was the one who'd found the scent, after all. She spoke up. "Nah, we could stick together. The scent is fresh. It probably wouldn't take long to find the rogue."

Snowblaze seemed to consider this, and Amberpaw shot her a grateful look. She smiled at him and waited for his mentor's reply.

"Okay, fine," Snowblaze meowed. "But let's make it quick."

Brookpaw and Amberpaw lead the way, working together to track the scent. Thankfully, it was much stronger than the scent she and Leafpaw had tried to follow a couple moons ago. It lead them near the Thunderpath, heading in the direction of Twolegplace.

     The fumes of monsters made Brookpaw's nose twitch

The fumes of monsters made Brookpaw's nose twitch. Why would anything want to live in this place? Eventually the scent became so mixed with all the other smells of the Twolegplace that she and Amberpaw lost the trail.

"It was probably just a rogue passing through," Snowblaze meowed. "If we find them on our territory again, we'll teach them a lesson." He sounded dismissive, as if his comment ended the whole search.

"We can't just give up now!" Brookpaw insisted. "Leafpaw and I found another scent a little while ago, another rogue, we think. Maybe this is related to-"

"Since when is the scent of a rogue a strange thing? We encounter several a season." Snowblaze seemed amused.

"I don't know, I just-"

"I appreciate your concern for making others respect our borders, Brookpaw, but letting one rogue go isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, we'll never find the scent again here. Let's just get going with the tour."

Brookpaw shot a desperate glance at Ravenfoot. Please, help me out here. But for once her mentor didn't seem to be on her side. He shook his head slightly, which translated into it's not worth it.

Defeated, Brookpaw let out a small sigh. She really had no idea why she was so determined to find this rogue. Was it just instinct? Hadn't Ravenfoot said for her to trust her instincts? So much for that idea. She wouldn't be able to sneak into Twolegplace, not with Snowblaze and Ravenfoot watching her. Besides, she'd never been there before, and wouldn't choose to go there unless she had to.

---

The tour of the territory felt long and dull to her, even with Amberpaw bounding along excitedly the whole time.

"Wow, I never knew the territory was so big!" He exclaimed when they reached the Twolegplace border once again.

"And that's only half of it," Snowblaze meowed. "We'll look at the other side tomorrow."