Chapter Thirteen

"Amberkit, step forward."

Brookpaw proudly watched her friend as Hawkstar summoned him. In fact, she felt almost as proud as Amberkit's parents, Firelight and Grasscloud.

"Do you promise to train with all your ability and to learn to serve your clan?" Hawkstar meowed, his gold-green eye blazing.

"I do."

"Then from this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Amberpaw. Snowblaze, you shall mentor him. Pass on your strength and loyalty."

The clan cheered.

Brookpaw was both happy and sad. Happy that her friend would be training alongside her now, sad that she would no longer be the one training him. Well, hopefully I've at least given him a head start.

     Amberpaw tried to make his way over to her, but Snowblaze cut him off before he could

Amberpaw tried to make his way over to her, but Snowblaze cut him off before he could. Brookpaw heard the white tom say something about going to see the borders, then he shuffled Amberpaw off towards the entrance.

She shot Ravenfoot a look. Can we go with them?

Her mentor shrugged. "I don't see why not."

They bounded off towards the gorse tunnel after the two cats.

"Hold up, Snowblaze," Ravenfoot called, "We're coming too. It won't hurt to stretch our legs a bit."

That, Brookpaw thought as they padded through the extremely thick snow, was an overstatement. Nevertheless she was happy to be with her friend. It had been a while since she'd really had fun. The battle with Willowlight's happy little death squad had been about a moon ago, and since then leaf-bare had really settled in. So far, there had been no more incidents with the neighboring clan. Hawkstar and Crowstar had agreed to not battle over Sunningrocks until green-leaf, giving their clans time to recover and think it through some more.

     Still, Brookpaw wondered if the RiverClan would keep his word until then.

"Where are we going first?" Amberpaw asked, his big golden eyes wide.

Snowblaze thought for a moment. "I think we'll only do half the territory today. We'll go up to Fourtrees first, then circle around the border until we get to Twolegplace."

Avoiding RiverClan, then. Excellent. That meant there would be no encounters with with Iceheart or Slywhisker.

Brookpaw cursed herself for even thinking about him. She knew she should hate him. She tried to convince herself that she did. But deep down, she knew she simply couldn't. Surely no one could hate that smooth voice and those occasionally charming remarks... she scowled. Is there no making sense of this? She thought irritably.

"Do you guys smell that?" Amberpaw meowed quietly.

Broken from her thoughts, Brookpaw tasted the air. "Smells like a cat. A rogue, probably."