fourteen

"Why were you so interested in my makeup last night?" Leila asks me curiously, her flushed red cheeks pressed against her palms. Her elbows were rested on the quite muddy grass. The summer was ending soon and to my dismay, I knew I'd have to stop coming.

School was a terror and I used the nights to study and sleep; not to gallivant and have peculiar chats with pretty girls.

I shrugged. "I guess I was just shocked. You don't need it; that's for sure."

Leila's cheeks began to flare crimson, even more than their current state. That was another thing I noticed about Leila Clarke. Her high cheekbones were always hot and resembling tomatoes. "Really?" she questions, her voice full of what sounded like hope and the most painful doubt.

"Really."

"You're- you're a really good friend, Chase." she exclaims, her eyes twinkling under the moonlight as she smiled at me.

We were staring at each other for quite some time before I realised one of us must have shifted closer because as soon as I looked at my lap, my knees were touching hers.

Her eyes meet my gaze and simultaneously we look back up to each other. Leila hesitantly leans in and within a heartbeat, she was kissing me. I kissed back. Eventually we pull away and I smile.
"Do you kiss all of your really good friends like that?"

Leila grins. "Only my favourites." she whispers.

"I made the list?" I cheekily tease, raising an eyebrow.

"You're on top."

]O