Chapter Thirty-three - Return to the Orchard

Return to the Orchard

Their ride down on SkyCarOne was as quiet and effortless as always. Kayleigh found herself staring eastward, following the soft blue line of the Sughi To'Lodare as it meandered toward the coast. The early afternoon was misty near the Eastern Sea and she could not make out the white spire of the Painted Lighthouse. Lincoln sat staring at the note he'd carried across so many worlds. The paper, at this point, was nearly a soft pulp and threatening to tear in two places.

"I'm surprised you can still read it," Kayleigh said, staring down at the familiar, haunting words:

Link On and Kay Lee

Please Come to Me

My Soul is Captive

Ka Tolerates

Our Destination

Hellward Kottabos

"I thought I lost it during our time in the Valley of the Oaks," Lincoln said thoughtfully. "It seems to make a lot more sense now."

"I know," Kayleigh said. "It may have come from some future version of David, but it's definitely a message from Ka Tolerates."

"But what is Hellward Kottabos? The place they sent Stitch?"

Kayleigh smiled, then spoke in a false, automated tone: "I'm sorry, I can't answer that question. You'll have to wait until you speak with the de'Malange this evening."

Laughing softly, Lincoln gently folded the paper and returned it reverently to his pocket, flush against the dark bottle.

"Do you think the de'Malange know what's going to happen when we get there?" he asked.

"Of course they do," Kayleigh sighed. "I just wish I knew more about my prophecy from the Corci sisters."

"We've already talked about that," Lincoln said quickly. "It could mean anything. You remember their first prophecy? The one where you and David were supposed to go back to Atoth, get married and save the galaxy?"

"Yea, well, forgive me for getting stuck on the 'Kayleigh must die' part. Maybe it means that you'll be the one to bring Ka Tolerates and my grandfather back and I'll have to stay there."

Lincoln's eyes widened. "You know I'd never let that happen. You're the chosen one—"

SkyCarOne came to a stop and Kayleigh stood. "We don't really know for sure, though, do we?" she asked.

Stepping across the tracks, they made their way across the silent platform of Ticket Station IX. The newness of the boards had withered with the passing of so many years.

"It feels like we were just here with Joe," Kayleigh said before Lincoln could continue their impossible argument.

"I know," he added. "Jet-lag is nothing compared to time-lag."

And so, continuing along the right-hand side of the tracks, against the direction of the Burnam Tau'roh Eastern Line, they made there way toward Trokamano Orchard.

*     *     *

The change in appearance was immediately evident. The once welcoming entrance was now overgrown and barely visible. The road that wound tortuously up the hill toward the farmhouse was obscured by years of untended rapture fig trees laced together by some form of wild blackberry bramble.