Chapter Thirty - Queen of the Oaks

Chapter Thirty

Queen of the Oaks

SkyCarOne shimmered like a silver bullet caught in slow motion, carrying its two passengers inexorably to the empty mountaintop. A cool and steady breeze hastened their journey to the eastern edge of the plateau.

"It's strange not seeing the lighthouse out there," Lincoln said as they moved across the featureless ground.

Kayleigh held her flattened hand out to shield the sun and nodded. "Other than that, it looks pretty much the same. Is this where you planted that acorn?"

Lincoln glanced around, then pointed to a dark area of disturbed soil. "There," he said.

There was only the premonition of a whisper just before the portal opened. They both heard the insistent voice of Ka Tolerates urging them onward. Now, the tree called to them. The time has come. Holding hands tightly, they crossed over.

Quickly, my children!

Hands still clasped, they broke into a run.

Something was wrong and they both felt it. Kayleigh actually allowed a bit of anger to balance her sense of urgency. The de'Malange can manipulate space and time and more or less control our lives, she fumed. So how can they not foresee things that will go wrong?

When they reached Ka Tolerates, they were stunned to find all of the Pilgrims standing in a semi-circle around the tree. Kayleigh thought it must have been nearly every citizen of Kana Hove.

"What-?" Lincoln began, but was silenced by the hurried voice of the tree.

We have little time. Truman Stitch, in the time you have just traveled from, knows far more than he should. Something, impossibly, has changed. It might have been your placement in the earlier Burnam Tau'roh. Either way, he suspects something. The wood from our trees needs to be over there as quickly as possible. Construction must commence at once. The Pilgrims are here to assist you and will join us when the task is complete.

"I don't see my Grandfather," Kayleigh said, searching the assemblage.

He is already asleep and will remain so comfortably. He will sleep as long as it takes for the Valley of Oaks to be cleaned.

Kayleigh started to speak, but held her words back, unsure of how to proceed.

Dear child, do not fear for him or for us. These trees are only our bodies. We will watch over you. You will never be alone. We knew this day would come and we are ready. It is now time for you, Queen Kell-Korai, to answer your destiny.

Kayleigh looked at Lincoln and knew what he was thinking. They'd spent all this time seeing the oaks as spiritual, revered beings and now they had to brutally cut them all down. Again, that feeling of nausea welled within them.

Lincoln, please know that you are not here by accident. You stand beside the Queen and honor us. Your help in this great task is immeasurable. You still have the glass vial?

Lincoln nodded, feeling the weight of the pack on his back.

"Yes," he said weakly. "But where did it come from? Mona said that a sick man came to the hotel and-"

The container was a gift from a powerful woman in a land known as Kell. She gave it to the man you speak of who in turn left it for you. It is vital to the success of our quest. The nature of the glass will protect our sawol during the great journey.

Pearle Kho, the woman they had met on their previous trip, emerged from the group and stepped up to them.

"We are ready to do what needs to be done," she said and knelt before Kayleigh. With this simple act, the entire assemblage dropped to one knee and placed crossed arms over their hearts.