Chapter Twenty-two - Mount Aikona

Chapter Twenty-two

Mount Aikona

Kayleigh awoke first, breathing in the dream-like aroma of the orchard through half-open windows. With care, she quietly padded to the front door and let herself out onto the porch. A constant breeze pushed through the tree covered hills and with it came a faint, yet audible snapping sound. Taking the steps onto the main drive, she turned to her right and discovered the origin of the sound. A team of pruners were busy at a nearby copse of overgrown trees. The workers wore thick, scratchy-looking overalls and worked expertly beneath the young trees. Reaching up with long, orange-tipped shears, they carefully pared away branches until, as moments passed, the trees took on a uniform, nearly symmetrical shape. Walking back up onto the porch, Kayleigh looked out and noticed several other teams of pruners working in random spots across the hills. A bit further in the distance, over the nearest rise, came the familiar sound of a train whistle. Cotton-thick tufts of smoke lifted with grudging ease into the morning sky just over the treetops.

“I often sit out here in the morning,” Mona said, startling Kayleigh. The old woman moved to one of several rocking chairs and set herself down onto it. “I just love the orchard at first light.”

Kayleigh considered sitting in the rocker beside her, but decided to stand.

“Mona,” she said. “Yesterday, when you told us about the fortunes those girls gave you, one of them said that Lincoln and I would tell you what needs to be done.”

“That’s right,” Mona said softly, eyes focused on some distant point over the hills.

“But we don’t know what needs to be done. The Oak Hotel needs to be built, but I guess that’s obvious. We need to see the three sisters, but they’re dead, so that’s out. I just feel like we’ve come all this way and nothing makes sense. We don’t have any magic answers.”

Mona smiled up at her and said, “Dear one, I hear your words. I have lived my life feeling as you do, as if some important bit of information is just outside my grasp. But now, two special young people have entered my life and I know that things are going to be fine. I just know it.”

“But how can you be so sure?” Kayleigh asked, her fingers digging into her palms.

“It’s just a feeling I have deep inside. I can’t really explain it more than that.”

The door opened and Lincoln stepped out with a thin, grey towel draped over his shoulder. Kayleigh nearly jumped to her feet and ran to him. He imagined she was about to throw her arms around him in a great hug, but instead she leaned into him and gently set her cheek against his. She took a deep breath.

“You washed your hair?” she asked in shock, pulling back.

“My hair and the rest of me, too. I found a wash tub in that little room off the kitchen. The tub was filled with warm water so I—”

Kayleigh spun and looked at Mona.

Smiling wider, Mona nodded, “Go ahead, Kayleigh. Rylyn has already drained the tub and refilled it with water for you.”

Kayleigh literally danced back into the farmhouse.

Shaking his head, Lincoln asked, “What’s gotten into her?”

“Lincoln, when was the last time either of you bathed?”

His eyes rose skyward for a moment, then returned to earth. “Probably back in Ceca Hebona,” he said.

“And how long ago was that?”

Lincoln frowned.

“That’s what I thought,” Mona said.