Chapter Six

The Tipsy Seagull hummed with activity. Almost every table was filled with members of the Ravenwood Hooligans and their significant others. Jared, Nick and Tina managed to snag the last booth available near the juke box.

"How long have you been writing?" Nick asked, raising his voice to be heard over the music. The latest hit from Laney Richards belted out, asking the age old question, Why Are You Kissing Me?

Jared cast a glance at Nick. They were waiting for their food to arrive, while Tina rushed to the washroom. She'd refused to use the porta-potty at the ball diamond, stating there weren't enough antiseptic wipes to make it clean enough for her.

"I started in college." He stopped and waited while Sue placed their burgers on the table. "Thanks."

"Anything else, boys?" Sue's soft drawl made him wonder if she'd come from the Carolina's.

"Nope." Nick grabbed the bottle of ketchup. "Thanks, Sue." He shook the bottle and smothered his fries with thick red sauce. "Does this writing gig work, or do you have another job?"

Jared shook his head. "I've been living off my writing for a few years."

Tina slid in the seat next to Nick. "I swear I drink only one glass of water and it multiplies by five when I go to the bathroom." She grinned at Jared. "Sorry. Baby talk. Lindsay told me to start wearing Depends."

"Do you mean Lindsay Swanson?"

"She's my little sister." Nick grabbed the ketchup bottle Tina almost tipped over.

"I guess I should have put it together, Nick Swanson, Lindsay Swanson."

"You know Lindsay?" Tina blurted out.

"We're neighbors."

"You're Hot St— ahhh, the new neighbor?" Tina stared at him, her mouth slightly open in surprise.

"You're catching flies, my love." Nick tapped her mouth closed.

He caught the subtle nudge from Nick against Tina's arm and her responding dig in his ribs with her elbow. He wondered what Nick warned her about and envied their easy camaraderie. He realized, with startling clarity that he and his ex-fiancé were always stiff and formal, even when they were alone. There was no way Mona would ever have come to a pub for a burger and beer, let alone play softball, or get messy because the job called for it.

"How'd you guys meet?" Nick asked.

He knew by Nick's quick grimace that Tina probably kicked him under the table and wondered again why she reacted the way she did.

"I hired her to renovate my kitchen. When we met to discuss details, I realized we were neighbors."

"How long ago was that?" Tina asked as she sipped her cola.

"About four or five days."

"And she didn't..." Tina placed her drink on the table. "Excuse me. I have to slip to the washroom again."

Nick turned toward Tina. "Are you okay, babe? You were just there."

Tina smiled, but it looked more like a grimace. "I'm fine. Just need to take care of a few girly things." She grabbed her purse and stomped toward the bathroom.

"Women." Nick shook his head and dipped his fry into the small puddle of ketchup on his plate. "I've got a wife, a mother and three sisters, and I still don't understand 'em."

"You and me both." Jared bit into his burger.

"You married?"

He almost choked. He swallowed before answering. "No. Why'd you ask?"