Prologue

"Me? But... why me? I'd be a terrible guardian! And I have things to do! I can't have another child around, it's too dangerous out there!" 

     "Only you. The prophecy foretells of something happening to her at sea. Her destiny is at sea. No man could be more perfect to raise her. Besides, you've had other children aboard your ship. It can't be that bad, can it?" 

    "Look, Oshus, I know I said I would do it, but I never thought it would happen! I never hoped it would happen! It's too dangerous out at sea, just look at what happened to them! That never should've happened, whatever happened yesterday. Speaking of which, what did happen?" 

     "You didn't receive my letter? I saw Jolene and she said it was delivered to you!" 

     "Old man, I've been at sea for a week before I came here! How was I supposed to get a letter?"

    "So I take it you didn't get the letter? I'll explain, then. As you know, they-Link and Tetra, I mean- were out trying to find a suitable island for the kingdom again. Finn and Shelli were with them. And let's just say there were pirates-well, bad pirates- and monsters. And, well, somehow-" 

    "Oh, couldn't you use your magic-y powers to save them or something? Couldn't you feel the danger in your sea?" 

   "You know my powers were not as they were before. They have been weak since our last encounter with Bellum. As I was saying, somehow Shelli made it out of the burning wreckage and-"

    "BURNING WRECKAGE?! OSHUS, YOU OLD WHALE, HOW COULDN'T YOU SEE THIS COMING? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS SOONER?" 

    "Calm down, calm down. I tried my hardest to save them but there was nothing to find, except a severely damaged boat, and, Shelli." 

    "So I will have to raise her then?" 

    "Yes, you will. You will be a fine guardian. Besides, it's not like its the first child you've raised. How is the boy now? Three? Four? Shelli will have a fine friend to play with." 

   "Four. He's four years old. Jolene says he reminds her of me, so I guess that's where we got the name. It's just.... whatever. I'll do it if I have to. Well, I guess I have no choice." 

    "You have no need to worry. You'll continue to be a fine father. You'll do fine, Linebeck."

•••••••

   The captain, called Linebeck, sits down at the front of ship with a small child in his lap, and looks up into the night sky.

   "Aw, kid. I'm so sorry."