Ch 2. Over and Over

Chapter 2. Over and Over (Sunday)

(Sunday)

I wake up to the sound of Angel's cell phone, the annoying song filling the room. I lie there clutching my pillow, waiting for him to at least answer the phone. The bottom bunk moves a little which probably means either Angel's gonna get up and save me from having to listen to the song or he's simply turning onto his side. I wait and after five minutes it's confirmed. The phone's gonna keep ringing, good bye sleep.

I get up and climb down the ladder, and at once slip on Angel's skateboard. "Ahhh!" I collide with the floor, my butt taking most of the damage but man does it hurt. Angel sits up, rubbing his eyes, a smirk already setting on his face. I get up before he has a chance to say anything and head to the bathroom.

Hate when he doesn't move his crap. That skateboard is nothing but a nuisance and he knows it.

I wash my face, the pain in my backside now numb. Next comes brushing my hair, which goes into it's usual neat braid then I brush my teeth. Up, down, up down, side to side, side to side, then the process repeats. This is my morning ritual, I don't do anything out of order or skip it. Being organized is the key for everything.

Angel comes into the bathroom as I'm now flossing. He doesn't look to me or anything just gets to brushing his teeth, his hair in a mess of tangles. Oh...and it looks like it may be time for him to dye it again, his roots are starting to show. Angel can get real crabby about the hair thing. Don't know what the point is on dying it and shaving the sides.

Sundays for my family is a day of forced family time. It's never fun but at least of us will have to suffer, he can't worm his way out. If we're lucky mom or dad will have to work today. It's unlikely but one can hope.

"Angel! Payton!" Calls Dad's voice from downstairs.

We look at each other and groan. I leave out first, Angel having to wash his mouth out then he follows. Dad's sitting at the kitchen table, mom next to him, both nursing two large mugs of look up in our direction then dad gestures to the two empty seats as if this were some kind of board meeting, a stern expression on his face. "Boys sit down."

Angel and I sit down at the round table, the two of us most likely looking like a pair of lost kittens. The last time dad gave us the, "boys sit down" we found out mom had lost the triplets so this probably isn't good. Hate when they're all serious, scares the crap out of me.

Mom clears her throat, blue eyes looking focused us. "Well your dad and I think it would be a good idea if you both spend the rest of you break at grandpa and grandma's."

"Is this about last night?" Angel asks, his head in his hands, doing little to hide his disappointment to the news. "I mean...we did clean up the mess."

Dad rubs his temples then takes a long drink of his coffee. "That's not the point Angel, it's Payton and your behavior towards each other. The fighting is irritating your mother and even I'm at my wits end with you boys."

"We won't fight anymore then." I blurt out, not for one minute believing it, can't think of a time when we've actually gone without fighting. It's part of us, what were all about. I hate him and he hates me, natural order of things.

Mom sighs, eyebrows knotting downward. "You two have said that before over a million times, over and over and it's the same, you'll start fighting again. It's too much stress on me and your father, you know he's trying to get promoted to partner and I have all these things going on at the station, we can't afford the stress."

Dad rubs his beard then takes another drink of coffee. "Besides grandpa and grandma would love to have you two come and visit them. They've been telling me how hard is to tend to the farm and maintain the store; sending you two up there would give them the help they need without having to hire someone so late in the year. Some time out in the country may even help you two bond as brothers."