Chapter XXXIX {Victory}

"im so proud of you." i say smiling weakly

Draco just smiles at me and kisses me lightly "i love you." 

"i love you too." i say

we look out and, between explosions, see his parents, running across the bride, leaving the fight.

Draco looks down, ashamed. 

The Entrance Hall explodes with counter-fire as members of the Order, students and staff return fire. Voldemort flicks his wand, the air prickling with disturbance as he summons a shield of air insulating himself from attack. As he sweeps forward, he responds with a devastating series of spells and the Entrance Hall quakes. 

Voldemort sweeps down the landing and pauses, eyeing the door ahead. he glances up in the direction of Nagini, conflicted.

"Nagini!" Voldemort commands

he waits, sees the giant snake begin to wend its way down. then passes through the door, flowing like water ever downward then--WHACK!--a bit of rubble bounces off her slithering tail. she hisses, coiling in on herself, blunt head darting about wearily. 

i stand watching. rearing back, i pick up another rock and pitch it at the reptile.

as the fragment hits its mark, Nagini strikes blindly, furious, then spies me. instantly she begins to slither towards me. 

Nagini ribbons forth rapidly, flowing effortlessly through the rubble that obstructs her path. my wand extends. i fire. Nagini hisses, continuing on. i lower my wand and stand perfectly still. 

Draco pelts forward, Basilisk Fang in hand. he lifts the tusk when--Nagini spies him and wicked fast--uncoils her tail, knocking the fang from his hand. we watch it clatter down the stairs, then look back at the great snake. it begins to move, towards Draco.

Nagini writhes forward angrily as Draco dashes away. i dash with him. 

"Vanessa!" Draco yells

"yeah?" i yell back

"if we survive this, I'm gonna marry you." Draco says

i almost stumble on my feet.

"what?" i ask

"im gonna marry you." Draco repeats

"okay." i say smiling widely

we dash down the stairs. Nagini closes on us. and then--suddenly--Nagini hisses madly, twisting crazily on the steps, tail snapping back and forth, shattering stairs and walls. 

"what's wrong with her?" i ask

we watch Nagini thrash. as rubble rains down, we begin to run for the Great Hall, skirting Hagrid and Flitwick, who battle a pair of Death Eaters.

further up the marble staircase, Professor Trelawny raises her wand, draws a bead on a Death Eater and with a forceful flick, sends him flying through the air. 

we burst through the front doors, followed by Nagini. Harry, who's battling Voldemort, turns but its too late. Draco steps in front of me in an attempt to protect me. Nagini opens her jaw and lurches forward, towards us.

Neville--appearing out of nowhere--steps into the breach, sword in hand, and with one might swing...severs Nagini's head.

Voldemort freezes, watching Nagini's body thrash madly for a time before going still. the great snake's head tumbling end over end and then, as it comes to a rest..Voldemort bellows in pain and turns, firing at Harry. 

instictively, Harry raises his wand, countering and the Elder Wand sails from Voldemort's hand, turning end-over-end, the spell ricocheting back on him.

Voldemort stands, utterly still for a moment, his eyes on Harry, then drops. 

dead.