Chapter XXX {Friend and Foe}

we apparate into Hogsmeade. its silent. we glance about when suddenly a scream rents the air. inhuman. the laughter dies inside of the Three Broomsticks, a mob of shadows fills the windows. instantly, we pelt for Honeydukes. 

as we close in on Honeydukes, Death Eaters spill from the Broomsticks.

"there! right there!" one of the Death Eaters says

we turn on our heels and vanish into the mist.

Harry leads the way, running wickedly fast through the twisting streets, glancing down alleyways for signs of pursuers, the mist both friend and foe. suddenly, a dark figure appears on the roof above. he whistles

"i've got them! down here!" 

suddenly beams of light fracture the mist.

"we know you're here, Potter. and Vanessa too. there's no getting away." the Death Eater sings

Harry slips the mirror from his pocket and angles it. his own face slides briefly over the surface, then the end of the alleyway comes into view. a Death Eater stands there, wand glowing in the mist.

"perhaps you need some convincing." the Death Eater says

"what?" i ask

suddenly, Hermione gasps, eyes looking upward. Ron, Harry and i follow her gaze. 

just above the rooftops, barely distinguishable from the night, Dementors drift like smoke. as Harry draws his wand, Hermione's hand covers his. 

"no, you'll give us away." she whispers

the night grows darker, the streetlights dim. my breath drifts visibly in the gathering chill. as the Dementors descend, we grimace, beset by bleak thoughts. a tear escapes my eye, and trails down my cheek. finally, Harry can't take it anymore.

"Expecto Patronum!" Harry yells

a silver stag bursts from his wand, and charges down the street, scattering the Dementors before vanishing around the other side of the Hog's Head Inn.

"its him! he's down there!" another Death Eater says

footsteps clatter on the cobblestones. we glance desperately about when--suddenly--bolts grind, hinges squall, and a door opens. a cat slithers out and a man appears in silhouette, the profile strangely familiar. 

"in here, Potter." the man says

we slip quickly past the man and inside. he gestures towards a rickety wooden staircase, brings a finger to his lips: shhh.

we enter a room with threadbare carpet and a small fireplace, above which hangs a large oil painting of a blonde girl with a sweet, but vacant stare. i step to a grimy window and peer down the street, where half a dozen Death Eaters glance about in confusion. just then, Hermione and Ron enter.

"did you get a look at him! for a second i thought it was-" Ron begins

"Dumbledore" Hermione finishes

hearing this, Harry slips the mirror from his pocket. footsteps sound from below.

"Harry, i can see you. in here." i say taking a jagged shard similar to his own from the mantel. Harry glances down at the piece in his palm and sees my eye looking out at him.

just then, the man's hulking form appears on the landing. 

"you bloody fools! what were you thinking coming here? do you have any idea how dangerous it is-" the man begins

"you're Aberforth." Harry interrupts

the room goes quiet. the man turns and eyes Harry.

"Dumbledore's brother. its you i've been seeing--here. its you who sent Dobby." Harry continues