twenty four - scarlet

Start from the beginning

Jericho's eyes light up, though, when he get's in the passenger seat, putting Jude in his lap who is just as happy to see Jericho. "Where are we going?" Jericho asks, giving up with trying to stop Jude's excitement and letting him lick his hand.

"There's this forested park not too far away, it's a small trail that leads to a pond. It's really nice there."

Jericho nods, not replying and just ducking his head down to smile down at Jude. I still remember Jericho's intense love for Labradoodles, so I don't question it. In fact, I find it endearing if anything.

It takes around ten minutes to get out of our large town and I know I'll have another five until we reach the park. Clearing my throat slightly, I ask, "So, how's things with your aunt?"

Jericho licks his lips, "I haven't really talked to her since the fight. She's really angry with me."

"Shouldn't you at least try to talk things out?"

Jericho sighs, "I don't know at this point. I'm turning eighteen soon, so I'm just hoping to get enough money and move the hell out of there. I don't want to live in Crooks Street anymore. I don't want to be associated with the rebels. I just want to move the hell on. Forget about my mom, stop having nightmares over my dad, just start anew." Jericho runs his fingers through Jude's fur when he starts to get worked up, and it seems to calm him down almost instantly. The dog is like a dam stress-reliever for him.

"You will get that new start, I know it."

"I think I already have. I have you now, and you've... you've already given me so much to look forward to." I pull into the parking lot, looking at Jericho. He does that thing again where he lifts Jude's paw up except this time he makes Jude fist bump me. I laugh loudly, shaking my head at me.

"You're such a freaking dork. I can't believe I used to be scared of you."

Jericho raises an eyebrow, "You were scared of me?"

I shrug, "Not so much scared as intimidated. You were kind of my only shot at happiness and you weren't very... friendly."

Jericho doesn't take offense, rather laughs it off. "Sorry about that." I just roll my eyes, grabbing Jude's leash and handing it to Jericho for him to put on the puppy in his lap.

We walk through the trail in silence, admiring the scenery around and the way the sunset plays with the shadows from the trees. When we finally get to the lake, I actually earn a gasp from Jericho. Jude seems excited by the water, bounding over to it as soon as Jericho unclips his leash, before stopping at the edge and examining it. Jericho chuckles softly, sitting down on the grass (close enough to get to Jude if anything) as I sit down beside him, our arms touching.

"How's the sleeping patterns?" I ask him, our fingers making small contact.

"Getting better. The insomnia comes and goes, it just got really bad ever since I met you and then rejected you. It's just never lasted this long. But it's been getting better, so I'm praying that means it's going away."

I take Jericho's hand, leaning my head against his shoulder. He relaxes into my touch, exhaling deeply. I laugh quietly as I watch the way Jude stick a paw into the water before recoiling quickly. Jericho also shakes with soft laughter, his thumb running over the back of my hand.

"Jericho?" I ask softly, getting a hum as a response. "We're going to be okay, right? I mean, with the rebels and stuff, and everyone hating us. It's- I don't want to lose you. I know you're scared of love, but I'm scared of losing something important to me. And over these past couple of months, you've become really important to me."

"I'm not going anywhere, Natalie. I promise."

"I know. And it's not that I don't believe you- I do. I just hate that our situations more complicated than it should be, because I know that it shouldn't be. Some people just can't mind their own business, though."

"They don't matter, though. You're all that matters to me."

I feel my cheeks warm at his response, lifting my head from his shoulder to see his amber eyes looking down at me. And suddenly, all precautions just fly out the window. Jericho is everything to me right now, and I'm falling hopelessly for every part of him. His eyes, his hair, his smile, his kindness, his honesty, his touch- everything. I can't hold it back anymore.

So I lean forward and kiss him.

FINALLY AM I RIGHT XD Sorry for the short chapter but I hope the last sentence of the chapter will make up for it xD Anyway, if you did enjoy this update please be sure to COMMENT AND VOTE! The support on this story has been so incredible, and I really want to take a moment to thank every single one of you for voting, commenting or even just reading. 

Anyway, be sure to leave your thoughts down in the comment section below xD I love you all so so much, thank you once again! <3 (: xoxo