Chapter Twenty-Four

"So what are you plans for tonight?" Michael asks before taking a bite from his sandwich.

"Well I was actually planning on asking Mr Peace if I can take the day of" Michael starts laughing at what I said as if it was a joke.

"What?"

"Mr Peace has this strict policy where he never lets your personal life interfere with your work so don't ask him" Michael says with wide eyes.

Slumping on the chair I moan in frustration. What am I supposed to do now, I'm sure Mr Peace would have let me gone but hearing it from Michael that probably isn't the greatest of ideas. Looking at my phone I realise that there's only five minutes left till lunch finishes.

"You finished eating? We should get going" I inform him.

He looks down at his watch and quickly eats the last piece of his sandwich. Michael calls the waiter over and we pay for our food before leaving. We decided to eat lunch at this really cute café which was just around the corner to the building.

"Why were you planning on taking the day off anyway?" Michael asks as we make our way back.

"Like I said, I still haven't told my parents about my engagement so Gerry thought it would be a good idea if I try to take the day off"

"That wasn't a very bright idea. Everybody and when I mean everybody, I mean everybody. They all know what Mr Peace is like so why would your fiancé suggest something like this...I'm sorry if I'm offending you" He says as he puts his hand up in defeat.

What Michael's saying is true. I have told Gerry about Mr Peace and the amount of things he's put me through but I guess it's my fault as well. I should have told him in the morning that a task like this would be impossible to do.

"I...I guess you're right and no I'm not offended don't worry"

"I should be going then, I'll see you around...bye" We give each other a quick hug before I step into the lift hitting the bottom for the top floor.

Dialling Gerry's number I wait for him to pick up the phone.

"You coming home?" Was the first thing he asks me.

Gerry is working from home today so that's the main reason he asked me to take the rest of the day off.

"Gerry I'm not going to ask Mr Peace. He has this strict policy about getting our personal life into work" I inform him.

I hear him let out a sigh as he clears his throat.

"You haven't even asked the guy and you're already making assumptions" He says

"Gerry you know what he's like. Do you know the amount of shit I'd have to hear then?" I ask him angrily.

"Just say it Sof, just say you're embarrassed to tell your parents!" He replies back in the same tone.

Anger bubbles inside of me as I hold onto the side bar of the lift.

"Listen to me Gerry, I don't want to put my job on the line" He suddenly starts laughing at what I've said.

"What, what is so funny?" I ask.

"Sofie what job? You don't even like your job!"

"I'm doing it for me...I'm doing it because I want to make my father proud!" My voice cracks a little as I lean back on the wall.

Gerry stays silent for a few seconds and the doors to the lifts begin to open. Composing myself it reveals none other than Mr Peace. He notices me and just rolls his eyes before stepping in. I press the button for the top floor yet again and watch the doors close.