Chapter Seventeen

"I'm getting pretty much used to everything now" I tell dad one last time.

He is very happy that I've adjusted so well in the business world as I was born for it. I wanted to roll my eyes when he said that but held the urge back.

"So, I need to tell you the main reason why I called you over" Dad says while clapping his hands together.

"Of course, what was it?" I ask him.

He tells me to wait while he walks out of the living room. I take hold of another homemade shortbread which mum made. They are so dang good, it's like they got better or something. Dad comes back minutes later with a small envelope in his hand.

"This" He points to the envelope and sits back down next to me. "Is an invitation to a function I'm going to be holding" He hands me the card as I open it up.

"Why are you holding this function for?"

"I need to attract some new companies so I can get deals" He informs me.

"Dad, don't you remember the last time you wanted to do something like that" I warn him.

People like to take advantage of dad at his age and dad being the gullible person that he is falls for whatever they tell him. I can't watch this sort of thing happen to him again, not after what he went through.

"Which is why I want you to bring your boss Charley Peace" My eyes immediately widen at when dad said Mr Peace's name.

He wants me to bring Mr Peace, out of all people?!

"Dad, I'm sorry but Mr Peace is a very busy man and I doubt he'll have any time" I say to him. It's true, I'm not exactly lying. I've seen what Mr Peace does all day and he hardly gets time for himself. I take a glance at dad to see he's made a sour face while leaning back against the couch with his arms crossed over his chest. "Come on dad, you can't be upset over something like this, can you?"

"Go back to work Sofie" He says tiredly.

I was about to say something when dad cuts me off and walks out of the living room heading upstairs. I guess men are just as hard to deal with as well.

(At the office)

"Here are all of the notes which I typed up from the meeting that we had in the morning" I tell Mr Peace while setting the papers down in front of his desk.

"That will be fine" He replies back to me with a straight face.

I turn around when I remember what dad told me. Maybe I should ask Mr Peace. Turning myself around he looks up at me from his screen with a raised eyebrow.

"Mr Peace you know my dad, he's holding this sort of function and he wanted me to invite you" Mr Peace is about to open his mouth when I quickly cut him off. "I know you're probably busy so if you can't make it then it's totally understandable" I assure him.

He rolls his eyes and leans forward in his seat.

"You didn't let me speak Koenraad" He says with annoyance.

"Right, sorry" I apologise to him.

"I'll be able to make it, besides...I need to have a word with your father" He returns his attention back to the screen as I look at him with wide eyes.

I leave his office and enter mine with thoughts running through my mind. What does he want to talk about with dad? Is he going to tell dad about all of the stupid things I've been doing? I hope he doesn't, dad is going to kill me when he finds out about my behaviour. I should call Gerry; he'll give me some good advice.

I sit down on my chair and pick up my mobile phone calling Gerry up. He picks up on the fifth ring.

"Gerry!"

"Sof, I'm really busy right now" He tells me urgently.

"I know I'm so sorry but this will literally take a minute. You know dad he's holding this function for his company and he told me to invite Mr Peace and I told Mr Peace if he's able to make it and Mr Peace said yeah because he needs to talk to dad about something, what if it's about me?" I say in one big breath.

Damn, that's the fastest I've ever spoken in my life.

"Sof stop worrying. You haven't done anything wrong as far as I know so you shouldn't be worried" He says trying to relax me.

"Oh yeah, what about that meeting?!" I ask him in panic.

Gerry is about to say something when the voices in the back start speaking to each other causing Gerry to reply back to them.

"Sof, I've got to go. We'll talk about this when I get home, love you"

"Bye" I cut the phone of and look at it.

I should probably call dad and tell him the good news- he'll be so excited. I dial dad's number and he picks up immediately.

"Dad, Mr Peace said he'll be able to make it" I inform him.

"Fantastic, I knew I could count on you" He tells me with excitement.

"Of course dad, I should go now...I've got some work to do" I lie to him.

"Bye"

************

"And every, little, piece of her is r-" The door suddenly barges open to reveal Mr Peace walking in- shit!

Looking down at my half pained nails, I quickly hide them underneath the table along with the nail polish bottle itself. I hope he didn't hear me sing, that would be embarrassing.

"Koenraad" He barks out.

"Mr Peace" I reply back without getting up from my seat.

"I want you to be attending your father's function with me" He says sternly.

"Aren't you going to be embarrassed with me by your side?" I ask curiously.

He lets out a loud sigh while shifting on both of his feet. I notice for the first time I've seen Mr Peace that he doesn't have his blazer on. His white crisp shirt has no creases no their whatsoever and his tie is still done up perfectly. Is this man perfection or what?

"You already know the answer to that question Koenraad" He says in an are-you-dumb tone.

"I'll take as a yes" I say without him telling me.

"E-mail me the details as soon as possible" He says. I nod my head while he turns to leave. Thank God he didn't notice the smell of the nail polish or the nail polish in that case. "And stop painting your nails!" He yells before leaving my office.

Looks like he noticed after all.