Chapter 1

I'm Destinee Schultz. Ever since my seventh grade year, I've wanted one thing more than anything: to follow in my brother's footsteps and go to one of the most prestigious performing arts high schools in California. That school is better known as Galaxy Arts.

My brother, Ross, was allowed to audition and got accepted his freshman year. If you had a talent amazing enough, you had a chance to get in. That school was almost like the gateway to stardom. Sadly, though, I wasn't able to get the key to unlock it.

"Mom?" I asked as she was putting the newly-bought food away.

"What, Destinee?" she replied without looking up. "Did you finish studying?" Yep. I have the parents who make me study in summer.

"No but I'm going to. Can I ask you something?"

"I don't know. Can you?" I rolled my eyes. "Don't roll your eyes at me, Destinee. By the way, do you have any solos in the summer concert?"

"Yeah, one," I said, trying to keep on track. "Anyway-"

"What song?" my mother interrupted.

"Imagine. Now can I-"

"Oh, by John Lennon? I love that song!"

"Mom! Can I ask my question now?"

She completely ignored me. "Fun fact: that song came out the day I was born! Maybe that's why it's one of my-"

"Mom, I want to go to Galaxy this year!" I yelled. She stopped and looked at me. "I want to go to Galaxy with Ross," I repeated in a calmer tone.

She opened her mouth, as if to say something, but she quickly closed it and pursed her lips. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea, Destinee."

"What's not a good idea?" my dad asked, walking into the kitchen. "I'm sure it's not that bad of an idea."

"Destinee wants to go to Galaxy with Ross next school year," my mom informed him. His smile dropped.

"Um. Well, I'm not sure about that one," my dad said.

"What's wrong with me going?" I shouted. "Ross gets to go! Why him and not me?"

My parents looked at each other. My dad was the one to speak. "Well, honey, you and your brother are two different people. When we had Ross, we were expecting him to be the top in his class. That was our plan for him. His room was even decorated with books and owls. But he grew up and turned out to be more rebellious."

I raised an eyebrow. "So?"

"Ross always has to have his way. You know this," my mom said. "He wasn't great in school. You're an A student. If you keep studying and do your homework, you can pull ahead of Eddie Dupre and be valedictorian when you graduate! You can't do that if you're worried about music all the time!"

"But Mom!"

"Don't 'but Mom' me, Destinee! You need to focus on your studies, not music," my mom told me sternly. "Lose he virtuoso and work up to that valedictorian title."

"I don't care about being valedictorian!" I screamed. I looked hopefully at my dad. "Dad?"

I swear he was about to give in, until my mom shot him a glare. "I'm sorry, Destinee, but I'm going to have to agree with your mother. School is more important than singing. You were made for Palm Woods High, not Galaxy Arts."

I blinked back tears. "Well then, I'm going to go study."

"That's my girl. Goodnight, mi'ja," my mom smiled.

"Night," my dad said.

With that I ran up the stairs to my room. I slammed my door shut and slid to the ground. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer.

I cried for a long time before grabbing my phone. I dialed the number of my favorite person in the world.

"Hey, Des!" Ross greeted me. "What's up?"

I blocked the phone and sniffled so he wouldn't know I was crying. "Hi, Ross. Uh, not much. Just sitting in my room. What about you? Are you almost here?"

"Yeah, actually. I just pulled into the driveway. See you in a minute!" he replied.

"Bye."

He ended the call. I threw my phone onto my bed. I heard the front door open, and I quietly opened my door. I crept to the railing and eavesdropped on my brother and parents.

"Where's Destinee?" Ross asked my parents.

"She's in her room studying," my mom told him.

"Mom, you can't make a teenage girl study in the summer. It's practically child abuse," Ross joked. "Anyway, why's she in her room? Doesn't she usually study in the living room?"

My dad shrugged. "She got pretty upset earlier when we told her she couldn't go to Galaxy."

"Wait what?"

"Yeah. We told her about the wonderful opportunities at Palm Woods that Galaxy doesn't offer," Mom explained.

Ross looked confused. "Galaxy has a great program, Mom. You know that. What's the real reason?"

"We want her to make us proud, Ross. As a scholar. Not as a singer. She can be the valedictorian at Palm Woods. There are people much smarter than any of us at Galaxy," she said.

I rolled my eyes and stood up. "Mom!" I shouted. "I don't care about being the valedictorian! I love music, not school! I want to be a singer, not valedictorian! It's just not me! I don't see why Ross gets to go but not me!"

"You're twice as smart as Ross was at your age! You have the potential to be great!" my mother protested.

"Well, Destinee's ten times better as a singer and musician than me, too! She doesn't just have potential to be amazing. She's already there," my brother interjected.

My dad shook his head. "Can you just sleep on it, Lillian, and decide tomorrow?"

Sighing, my mother said, "Fine. I'm going to bed."

She headed down the hallway. I gave my dad a hug. "Thank you, Dad."

"Will you talk to her?" Ross asked him hopefully.

"Of course I'll talk to her. I can't promise her decision, but I'll convince her as much as I can."

"Thank you!" I said again. "I'm going to go to bed. Night!"

"Night, mi'ja," my dad said, mimicking my mom.

Ross gave me a quick hug and I hurried to my room. I took out my guitar and started strumming softly, practicing my solo for the concert next week.