13

He lashed out once, twice, three times. The man fell with a choked gurgle, and Harry woke with a start, his heart pounding, sweat pouring off of him.

Around him, the room was chaos. Ron was sitting next to him, while Seamus and Dean watched, confused.

"What's going on?" Harry asked, trying to steady his beating heart.

"I was hoping you could tell us," Ron said, looking out of his depth. "You were screaming and tossing around in your sleep. Neville went to go get McGonagall."

And there she was. Harry grasped onto his guardian's presence.

"What's going on?" Minerva asked, trying to hide her fear, as she got a good look at her charge. Harry looked more than shaken up. He looked frightened, as he turned his startlingly green eyes on her.

"Mr. Weasley," Harry rushed, pleading with the professor. Here was someone who could actually do something. "He's hurt, you have to get help!"

Minerva sat down on the edge of his bed, taking one hand in hers. "Where?" she asked, trying to soothe him.

Harry stumbled a little, unsure as to where exactly he had been when he had attacked... no, he hadn't attacked anyone. Had he? He had been a snake, and the snake had attacked Mr. Weasley.

He shook his head slightly, trying to clear his mind. These thoughts weren't helping right now. "It was a hallway. It was dark, and he was sitting outside a door. There's not much time, you have to hurry!"

Minerva reared back slightly. She observed him for a half a second, before nodding briskly. "Come with me. Mr. Weasley, you as well."

With that, she led the two teenagers down the stairs.

They all received a bit of a shock in the common room. Ginny was standing there, fear evident on her face, tears in her eyes.

Minerva furrowed her brow, confused, but gestured for the girl to join them as they headed up to the headmaster's office.

Ginny, how did you know? Harry asked, taking her hand in his, squeezing reassuringly.

Ginny bit her lip. I saw it, she admitted, feeling Harry stiffen next to her. It was a snake. Oh Merlin, dad...

Harry squeezed her hand tighter. He'll be fine, he reassured, though he wasn't sure he believed it. They'll find him.

The group reached the gargoyle entrance at that moment, and McGonagall said the password ("Toffee Crunch") in a shaky voice.

They took the winding staircase up to Dumbledore's office, where Minerva shared a whispered conversation with the headmaster, who then turned to several portraits on the wall, and began issuing orders.

Harry, Ginny, and Ron watched, confused and a little frightened.

One of the previous headmasters stepped out of his frame, but instead of reappearing in the next one over, he disappeared. Without turning around, Dumbledore asked Harry questions about what had happened, what he had seen. Harry answered as best he could. When he was finished, Dumbledore turned back to Minerva. "Professor McGonagall, if you could gather the remaining Weasleys and bring them here."

Minerva nodded and headed out of the office.

Dumbledore spent the next few minutes ignoring the teenagers, preferring to study the portraits on the wall.

Harry and Ginny spoke through their bond, reassuring each other. When Ginny heard one stray thought in her boyfriend's mind, she almost slapped him. Harry James Potter, it is not your fault! You didn't do this.