Chapter 28: Time to face the evil-flesh-eating-llamas-with-vampire-sucking-fangs

Start from the beginning

Brian was right. Was I ready to leave? Who knows what'll happen when we get back. Only time will tell. And unfortunately, I was a very impatient person.

Switching to a radio station, I hoisted my feet onto the dashboard, slipping off my boots as well.

Brian cleared his throat, and I turned to see him stare out the window, driving down the hill.  

"What? You want my feet down?" I offered, resting my head on his shoulder.

He shook his head. "No. I was just wondering....."

Leaning a little closer, I smelt his spicy thick scent, and snuggled up to him, eyes closed. "You were wondering...." I carried, waiting.

"If...you know...."

"Dude. You're killing me here," I said dryly, dozing a little.

"...If....well...I mean...if we're an item again," he answered, and my eyes immediately snapped open.

"Why would it matter," I retorted, slightly furious at such an inappropriate question. I was actually enjoying myself, forgetting everything wrong about this until now. Hec, he HAD to bring this topic back up again.

He did a little shrug, and tried to turn down the radio but I swatted his hand. Awkward silence was the last thing I needed. "No reason in particular really. I was just curious after, you know, the past few days."

Sitting up, my heart thumped as I peeled off of him, missing his presence. However, logic was in control now. I had to think clearly without any distractions. "Brian, we've gone over this. I can't... I mean," I sighed, and propped my elbow on the window, keeping my hand on my temple. "I need time. I told you. I need to think, that's all."

He nodded, and I was glad he understood. Sure, the past few days have been fun, although something occasionally kept tugging my mind for me to come back to Earth. I had school to come back to. Scholars were big and this was my senior year. I had to get my soccer team back and I had many people to talk to. I still had to set things straight with numerous others and many unfinished applications sat on my desk. I had a life to attend. And I wasn't ready to include Brian in it just yet. Or maybe even ever.

That boy has costed me so much stress and pain, it wasn't funny.

"Rivyn?"

I snapped out of my trance, and looked up. "Yeah?"

"I suggest you take a nap. It's going to take a while until we reach home since I'm not taking the border way," he informed, smiling at me.

I went queasy at his genuine smile, and quickly joked, "What? So you can go all Edward on me and stare while I sleep?"

A mischievous grin spread across his face and my ribs tightened, captured by his gaze. And as if saved by the Gods, a vibrating noise interrupted my decent and Brian pulled out his phone.

A shallow look cast over his face, and he put it back in his pocket. Perplexed, I shifted so I was closer. "Who was it?" I questioned.

He shook his head like he didn't want to talk about it. Shrugging a little, I was about to scoot away until he spoke, "My mom."

I was not the nosey type, don't get me wrong. However, he appeared so sad, and I had to do something. "What did she want?" I softly asked, not wanting to sound forceful. I respected his space as did he for me last night.

"She wants me home."

I brightened, "Aren't we heading there now? Then what's the problem?"

He chewed on his lip, and gripped the steering wheel, hitting the highway. "Well...it's...." he sighed, and I placed my hand on his knee in a friendly way. As if that suddenly calmed him, he continued.