Chapter 4

As soon as I opened my eyes I quickly shut them again. The brightness was too much for my sensitive eyes right now. I couldn't remember what happened until it all came flooding back to me. Nicole. Chase. Air. Blood. Slowly opening my eyes and looking up at the bright white ceiling was enough to send my head into pure dizziness, but when I heard snoring coming from the left side of me I whipped my head round so fast that I swear I broke it for a second. I soon regretted it as I felt the blow of a pounding headache hit me square in the face. I immediately recognised the snoring to be Chase and with his arm across my stomach. Then I realized that I was in a hospital. Does my Mum know? "No she doesn't..." Wait, what. "I brought you straight here, and totally forgot. Do you want her to be here?" The voice was indeed Chase's as he was lifting his head up from being on the bed. That's when the nurse walked in, and once she saw I was awake, checked the machines next to me.

"Oh no, its fine..." I soon answered after I realized he'd been waiting for a reply. An idea soon popped into my head "Can you read my mind?"

"Yea, hence why I answered your inside question bout your Mum out loud"

"Oh, I thought I either said it out loud or it was a coincidence..." Soon feeling like and idiot after.

After silently staring at each other for a while, he decided to break the silence with "How you feeling?" and I replied with a grunt and nod to the head.

"As good as I can be"

"You smashed your head, how can that be 'as good as I can be'?" He asked while using finger speech marks to quote my words.

"Just is" I stated, my voice cracking towards the end.

"Here" Chase said as he offered me a glass of water. I quickly accepted the offer, grabbed the water and drank it all. As it trickled down my throat I felt the burning sensation it created. After I finished the water we were overcome by silence accept the heart monitor next to me until Chase purposely cleared his throat and spoke. "I'm sorry about Nicole... I'm going to tell her to never come near you again... I don't want this to happen ever again, I feel like a bad mate with you lying helpless in a hospital bed" he admitted as he held my hand.
"It's alright, we weren't to know Chase..."
"But I should protect you!"
"And you did, I'm still here aren't I?"
"But you got hurt. You could have been seriously injured or dead!"
"I'm fine Chase, honestly, please just leave it." I pleaded, not wanting to argue about it anymore
"Okay" he replied much to my pleasure
"Thank you"
That's when the nurse decided to check on me and tell me I could leave the hospital after a few tests as long as I promised to take it easy, which Chase decided would be a good reason to stick with me all the time.