•••

"Is it that serious?" Topanga whispered to Cory, her voice was soft, and a bit strained as she tried to process the information that Cory was giving her.

Riley and Maya pressed their ears, to the outside of the Matthews' bedroom, in hopes of hearing the conversation.

"Mrs. Friar said he hasn't woken up since he arrived there."

Riley and Maya's eyes meet, wide-eyed and confused.

Riley mouths a "Lucas?" But Maya doesn't respond back, they both know it's about Lucas. Mrs. Friar wouldn't have called them about anything else but him.

"The doctors said he's in critical condition after the accident. His heartbeat is slowing, and it's getting harder for him to breathe."

Riley pressed her ear harder to the door, wishing the door was thinner than it was so she could hear better.

"Did she tell you what happened?"

Silence came from inside the room, and all Riley could hear, was the sound of her heart pounding in her ears.

Please don't be bad..

She pleaded inside, hoping it wasn't anything horrible, but as soon as Cory began to explain, she could already feel her heart tearing in two, as if she had already lost Lucas.

"Lucas and his father were on there way to a bull riding show a couple hours ago. Turns out they were turning onto a rode when a drunk driver came and hit them from the back. The airbag worked for Mr. Friar's side, but not Lucas'. He flew out of the windshield, breaking his shoulder and leg when he hit the ground. But he did end up hitting his head first before the rest of his body, but he's not waking up; and they don't know if he ever will."

Everything Cory had continued to say, began to echo, as Riley replayed the news over and over in her head.

"He's not waking up; and they don't know if he ever will."

The boy she loved, was slowly slipping away from her after every second she sat against the door, still not being able to process what she had just heard.

Silence was all that came from her and Maya, they both spoke of nothing.

What was there to talk about when it felt as if half of Riley's heart was being ripped away from her? One piece, at a time.

•••

"Who are the people visiting Lucas Friar?" Says a tall dark man in blue scrubs, reading off of a clip board.

All five of them stand up, causing the doctor to raise his eyebrows.

"With his condition we think it's best if you all go in one person at a time."

A small pressure went on Riley's left shoulder as her Dad pushed her slightly forward, indicating she would go first.

But Riley denied, she wanted to wait just a little bit longer before she had gotten the chance to see him. She couldn't see him now, not yet.

She tugged on the hem of her sleeve, as one question ran through her mind, finding it's way, slipping out of her mouth.

"Is he going to die?"

The waiting room falls silent, conversations drop, the turn of magazines go still, as all eyes land on her.

The man looked at her with sorrow and pity, as he saw how heartbroken she truly was.