14 || A Turning Point

Everything changed since that courtdate.

After Johnny was ruled not guilty, and spared from having to pay a fine for manslaughter, the Cades signed Darrel Shayne Curtis as Johnny's legal guardian. Then, Mr. and Mrs. Cade were put behind bars for the years of abuse they've brought to their son. Johnny moved in with the Curtis's, and Darrel invested in a real rehabilitation for him, with the help of his work and friends. He even installed a wheelchair ramp for better convenience.

Ponyboy kept making A's.
Dallas kept getting in trouble.
Steve and Sodapop kept working at the DX.
Two-Bit finally got a job, and stopped hanging around the school.

Everything was good. Sometimes, Johnny would go and visit the grave of Bob Sheldon every once in a while. He hated the memory, but he didn't want to forget. It made him realize how much it meant to be alive. After many thoughts of suicide, Johnny finally learned why he wanted to stay on earth. He had more to live for. More to believe in. It would be a shame if he died now, and it took so much tragedy for him to realize that.

Even when he couldn't walk again, he was happy to be breathing.

Once he had returned to school, things were pretty normal. The Socs threw him looks, the greasers hung around him. A few Socs feared him for what he did to their friend, but that was just something he'd have to grow used to. It was the final lingering consequence of what he did. He didn't mind it all that much, and besides. He had Two-Bit, the new school janitor, to help him out some. And help he did.

Life went on as usual, until one day, Johnny got a postcard from the county jail. There was no name on it, but he was pretty sure he knew who it came from. On the card were two messily-scrawled words.

I'm sorry.

***

And, here it is. The final chapter of this dear book of mine. Honestly, I know that I thank you readers in every chapter, but I don't think I can thank you enough. I do have a little something for my appreciation coming out very, very soon, though.

A book of Outsiders one-shots! You can find anything in there. Short-stories about the characters you love, X-Readers about the gang, and headcanons that I think up of off the top of my head. And much, much more! It's just a peice of my appreciation, and it would mean a lot if you'd go and take a looksy.

Stay tuned for the very last note of this book. The next update after this one will be the final update of this fanfic.

See you soon!