8 || The Innocent

Dallas Winston was wondering around town, sort of bored and obviously looking for trouble. There was nothing to do but rob a few stores, maybe cause a couple fights: the usual for a tough hood like Dal. He had asked Ponyboy and Johnny to meet with him at the corner of Picket and Sutton as they used to, but they weren't due to come for another fifteen minutes. Dallas Winston does not wait for other people.

He casually walks into a store, wondering around and looking at what he could possibly get his hands on. He didn't notice the little boy's eyes trailing on him at all times, until he turned to see his wide blue orbs. "You came in here to steal," he speaks bluntly, making Dallas double backwards. He dismisses the kid with a wave of his hand.

"Get lost, kid," he scoffs, turning to the magazine isle. The child does not leave, but instead keeps a close eye on what Dallas was looking at. It was clear that the boy of about seven years of age was bothering the young man who had just turned eighteen. "Get out of here, or I'll beat the tar out of you!"

"Is that the magazine you wanted?" the boy asks, pointing to the magazine Dallas was holding. Dallas doesn't answer, but instead stares at the boy. The child takes the magazine from his hand, then takes it to the register, pays the couple of coins he owed, then returns it to Dallas. "Here. I paid for it, so you won't get in trouble."

Dallas furrows his thick eyebrows in confusion, bewildered by this kid's acts. He didn't know what he was supposed to do. He opens his mouth to tell him off, but a second later, realizes that it was no way to treat a kid. Is he going soft or something, or is he learning some respect? Dallas Winston never used to roll that way. Even so, he doesn't leave without muttering a quick, "Thanks, kid."

***

Twenty minutes later, Ponyboy and Johnny arrive, slightly late but able to have made it. "Sorry, man," Johnny apologizes to Dallas. "We got held up by some Socs." Dallas's somber expression quickly turns to outrage.

"Are you kidding?!" he yelps. "Them Socs were bothering you guys?! Gosh, guess they can't leave people alone." Dallas and Ponyboy had both assumed that Bob's gang of friends would stop bothering them, but they were both deceived. Randy was right. Greasers will still be greasers, and Socs will always be Socs. "What'd they do, anyways?"

"They mainly trash-talked us," Ponyboy mutters bitterly. "They didn't dare touch us, though." They all knew why. Johnny killed their leader. How could they even have the slightest desire to take him on, even in a wheelchair? It would be stupid if they tried.

"I hate them all," Dallas growls. "I will tear them up if they do that again. Gosh, you would've thought they'd learned their lesson already, huh Johnnycake?"

"Lets just... do whatever you wanted to do," Johnny suggests timidly, knowing what he was getting at. The Socs were careful to not leave out the most important peice of information.

December 25th is a week away.

***

NOPE ITS NOT LONG IM SORRY FOR WHAT IVE DONE.

I PROMISE, I will carry out my plans the next chapter. I had to get some action rollin', plus, I wanted to give Dallas a bit of showtime. He's always portrayed as completely disrespectful by a lot of stories, and I have to disagree. The man has respect.

Anywho, please enjoy your reading! I'll be updating again soon, but this time, it WILL be at least 1000 words.