Chapter 10: Mr. Cole's science project

Comincia dall'inizio

Before Connor could say anything, Alexis was already speaking on the edge of tears.

-"You're not taking him away! Aren't you!?"—she could barely squeal—"I don't care what you say if he goes I go too—"

-"What? No, of course not!"—Grace said, standing up and giving Alexis a hug to calm her down—"Nobody's going anywhere... right Brittany?"

-"Yes, Alexis, that is correct."—said the social worker, before laying her teacup down on the table and looking back at Grace and the kids—"In fact, I come here with good news."

Connor's heart skipped a beat. Of all the things he had heard Brittany tell either him or Alexis before, despite how kind she was and how genuinely good were her intentions, 'good news' had never formed a part of the spectrum before. This was a big change, and a good one, at that.

-"I think we should all sit down."—Grace said—"Come on kids, take a seat, and I'll go fetch everyone something warm to drink... it's really cold this morning... and once Mikey is up we can all have breakfast! Would you like some waffles, Brittany?"

-"Oh, no, dear, thank you so much, but I'm afraid I'm in quite a hurry. I have to get Connor's papers done today."

-"Papers?"—Connor asked, taking a seat besides Alexis on the big couch—"What... papers?"

-"Well, first off, I'd like you to know that I've been informed about... the latest incidents this past couple of weeks."

Connor felt the need to speak up and defend his acting, explaining that it was to stop a no-good brat from bullying Alexis, but Brittany beat him to it by raising her hand and smiling.

-"Don't worry Connor, I know the whole story."—she said, then proceeding—"I am not getting involved. I think the measures the school has taken are the most appropriate, and I support the guidance counselor's point of view on the subject. She will be reporting directly to me now, but you don't have to worry about a thing."

Connor let out a sigh of relief and rested his head on his hands. That meant that, at least, he wasn't going to get moved away or sent to juvie.

-"However."—Brittany went on—"I'm afraid you are playing with fire, Connor. If you get involved in any more violent acts, you will most likely have to attend group counseling with other foster kids. Or even be sent to a different establishment."

At this, Alexis spoke first.

-"But, you just said he could stay!"

-"And he can."—Brittany explained calmly—"I'm not saying Connor will have to move out. But if something else happens, he will have to. For some time under probation. Nothing permanent, of course. But it's very likely he would have to spend a couple of months in a supervised home for foster kids before the authorities find it appropriate for him to return here."

Brittany's words were marked on Connor's skull. He knew what a supervised home meant. It meant the trouble kids and the chances of him ever getting a proper education or a job reduced to nothing. He would come back to Alexis, but he wouldn't be able to make anything of his life once he had been placed there. He made a mental note; starting now, he would have to do more than just behave.

-"Here's your tea, kids."—said Grace, giving each a cup before taking her seat again—"Don't drink it if it's too hot!"

-"Anyhow, I have, like I said, some good news."—Brittany announced.

Connor and Alexis stared at her expectantly. Whatever news it was, it had to be something big for her to stop by and have a proper meeting with them and Grace. And if it was good, neither of them had a clue on what it had to be.