Chapter 8

Delilah Meets Her Match

Chapter 8

**********************************

Ruth was glad when she finally finished the bedspread. It was nice to be able to linger in bed for a change. She didn't understand why but redoing the rooms had really taken a toll on her. It didn't make sense that she was feeling this tired, being raised up doing a man's work all of her life. Now that she thought about it she hadn't been eating like she should. She had been so focused on finishing their rooms that she hadn't taken the time to eat regularly. Maybe she just needed to get up and have a good breakfast. She threw off the covers and jumped up to gather her things to go and take a shower. The room started to spin so she quickly sat back down on the bed. That didn't help so she lay back down and stayed there until the room righted itself. This time she got up more slowly and went straight to the kitchen to get something to eat. She figured that she must be hungrier than she thought.

When Ruth got to the kitchen she found Beth preparing a plate.

Beth said; "Oh, you're up! I was just fixing you a plate. Adam was worried about you and said you were looking a little pale. We thought it would be nice for you to have breakfast in bed."

"That is kind of you. I have to admit that I am feeling a little worn out. Since I am already up I will just eat in here if you don't mind."

Beth looked up, smiled and said; "Whatever you want dear." As she placed Ruth's plate on the table she caught sight of Ruth's pale face and immediately felt of her forehead. She said; "No, you're not hot but Adam is right. You're pale as a sheet."

"I know. I was so focused on my sewing that I haven't been eating properly. That is why I down in my pajamas and robe. I suddenly realized I am very hungry."

"Well dear, you just sit there and eat to your heart's content."

Ruth finished eating, cleaned up, and then went to her room to get her clothes to take her shower. While she was bending down to get a pair of pants out of the drawer a feeling of intense nausea swept over her. She rushed to the bathroom, but when she got there the nausea had past but she had broken out into a sweat. She went to the sink and splashed some cold water on her face. She looked at her face in the mirror and decided that maybe she was coming down with something. She decided to go ahead and take her shower. She could just wear her robe back to her room.

When Ruth was finished she was feeling much better. Going to her room she decided to make sure that she would eat right and get plenty of rest in the future. After getting dressed she started her morning chores.

After Ruth and Beth finished cleaning the house Ruth fixed Adam's lunch and was preparing to take it to him when Zach came out from his study. When he found out where she was going he asked if he could go with her because he needed to talk to Adam about something.

While Ruth was out Delilah called to see if she wanted to go to town with her. Beth answered and apologized. She told her that Ruth had taken Adam's lunch to him and wouldn't be back for some time. Disappointed Delilah thanked Beth and got off the phone. She went ahead and got ready deciding to go by herself.

When she got into town she went to Benjamin's to see if Ezra wanted to go for an ice cream. She hadn't seen him since they painted Adam and Ruth's walls. When she got there she was disappointed once again because Ezra had gone to the theater with some friends. Thanking Benjamin she turned with a sigh to leave but before she could leave he stopped her asking; "Why so gloomy?"

"Gloomy, why do you think I'm gloomy?"

"That big sigh as you turned to leave."

"Oh, that. Don't pay attention to me. I'm just indulging in a little self-pity, that's all." Turning to leave again she said; "See you around."

Quickly grabbing her by the wrist he said; "Wait a minute. What about ME? I like ice cream."

"You mean you would like to come with me?"

"Try and stop me. Just give me a few minutes to finish up what I was doing and I will be ready to go." While he locked away some papers he said; "I can't leave these papers laying around for just anyone to see. They involve a missing heiress I am trying to locate. Her parents' lawyer insist that she has been traced this far but I think they are mistaken because I know everyone in town."

While Benjamin was putting things in order Delilah walked to the window thinking about what he said. She turned to him and said; "The only new people in town besides me are Ruth, and you have met our families, the Holmbees and Taylor."

Benjamin's head snapped up at that, with his eyes wide as if a light bulb went on in his head he said; "We really don't know anything about Taylor or her family, do we?"

"She hasn't said anything about them to me."

"Well let's forget about that for now. I hear an ice cream cone of pistachio calling my name." Taking Delilah by the hand he led her out the door and headed for the ice cream parlor.

As they walked down the street he kept having visions of Taylor's wedding dress and the matching shoes that she wore which were undoubtedly more than a waitress could afford and the fact that she didn't want her parents there. Her last name Cook is probably an alias. His mother had mentioned that she had seemed bitter when she was asked about her parents. She told her that her parents wouldn't come if invited so there was no reason to. He was surprised that he hadn't thought of her himself. He decided that he was going to have a talk with Taylor, or should he? She might run again and she is Seth's wife carrying his baby. He was going to have to give this some thought.

Delilah didn't notice the silence because she too was thinking about Taylor. She was surprised that she didn't notice a refined person when she saw her, even though Taylor tried her best to hide it. It was obvious that she had been trained in a finishing school. She decided right then and there that she was going to find out who Taylor really is and why she is hiding her true identity.

When they arrived at the ice cream parlor they put their thoughts aside and Benjamin opened the ice cream parlor door for Delilah and they went inside.

********************************************

Author's Note: We have a little mystery on our hands. Who really is Taylor? Leave me your thoughts on who you think she is. Don't forget to vote and comment. Happy reading, Tigger.