Chapter 13

Disclaimer: not mine

August passed much the same as July, with the addition of the Weasley twins. They spent much more time at Harry's, now that they had learned that two of their idols were in residence. It was even enough to offset the fact that they were willingly visiting a professor's home during the summer holidays.

Hermione was indeed impressed that Ron had finished his summer assignments, though he was a little annoyed with how surprised she seemed. It had taken Harry talking with Hermione for her to realize what she had done, and she had immediately hurried off to apologize.

Sirius and Remus had begun giving the students lessons on dueling, something they were all eager to learn. They focused more on using spells together, and how to fight, than on formal dueling, so that they could be prepared, should the situation arise where they needed to defend themselves.

The last of the Marauders also began teaching them how to dodge, reasoning that the best offense was a good defense. Sometimes, the best way to block a spell was to not let it hit you.

Harry was, unsurprisingly, the best at this new class. Defense had always been where he shined, and he was used to dodging.

All the lingering apprehension Molly had had about letting her children go over to McGonagall Castle every day vanished as soon as she learned that they were actually studying, and had already finished their summer homework, yet were still eager to learn more. Even the twins had spent more time on their schoolwork. It made her so proud as a mother, and she vowed to find some way to thank Harry, Sirius, and Minerva.

Sirius had taken both Neville and Ginny aside when he had noticed their struggles to perform some spells, and upon learning that they were both using family wands, he insisted that they go to Ollivanders to purchase their own. Augusta required a bit of a talking to, but after receiving a dressing down from Minerva on forcing her grandson to use his father's wand, she dutifully took him to get his own.

Ginny was a bit more of a problem, until Sirius put his foot down and gave Molly the galleons, telling her that it was Ginny's birthday present, and he wouldn't take no for an answer. He then whispered something to her that had her looking at Harry in a new light, but try as he might, Harry couldn't get either of them to tell him what Sirius had said. But the result was favorable, and the next day, Ginny was attacking the new lessons with a vengeance, getting used to the increase in power her new nine inch, Hazel and Unicorn hair wand sported.

One of the best parts of the month, to Harry, though, was going to get his eyes fixed at the shop in Diagon Alley. Ginny also seemed to enjoy that part, now that she had an unobstructed view of his brilliant green eyes.

Also discussed in great detail was what would happen at the Wizengamot meeting at the end of the month. Amelia and Augusta had planned, and were planning, to bring the situation to the court first thing, when Albus asked for additions to the agenda at the beginning of the meeting. They figured they were as prepared as they could be, so the only thing left to do was wait.

XXX

Ginny's birthday was a family affair, though Harry, Neville, Susan, and Hermione were all invited.

Harry had dithered over what to get her, wanting it to be special, and had finally found what he considered to be the perfect gift. He had asked Sirius for help, having read about the spells in one of his godfather's books, and Sirius had been more than willing, understanding his reasons behind the gift.

Ginny was speechless as she unwrapped the necklace. It was a simple lightning bolt charm on a silver chain, but it was beautiful. Harry was blushing as he helped her put it on, explaining that he and Sirius had tied a few charms into the amulet, which would make her resistant to most mind magics, including the Imperius curse and possession.