Chapter 2

Clarissa Cullen

~1669~

"Mother what's happening?" I said to her as I tried to keep up. We were running through the woods from a group of people with torches and pitch forks.

"Mother?!" I said louder this time.

She ignored me and kept running. I looked up at my mothers face as we ran for what seemed to be for our lives. She looked frightened her big green eyes were filled with unshed tears. Whatever happen seemed to be very serious.

Even at this moment I couldn't help but notice my mothers beauty. I look almost exactly like my mother but my cheek bones were higher up. I know for a fact I could never be as beautiful as she is.

After running for a few more minutes we came to a cabin. She opened it and dragged me inside. She locked it up and began throwing stuff into a hidden space behind the fireplace.

"Mother..." I whispered. She turned to me and kissed my forehead.

"I love you Claire. Forever and always." She said sadly.

"Mother your scaring me.." I said tears coming to my eyes.

"You are special my daughter. Powerful. When this is all over deliver these two letters and read the last. Then find your father." She said looking at me seriously.

"But fathers dead..." I whispered.

"He is alive...different but alive. Find him Claire." I nodded in understanding. I heard people outside the house.

I began to cry.

"Claire...promise me something." She started pushing me towards the hidden space.

"Anything...mother."I said quickly.

"Whatever happens don't come out or make a noise...I love you." She said to me softly. She locked the door and to the hidden space and I moved to look out the vent to see into the room. My mother went and sat on the cot in the middle of the room. The front door bust open and a group of men came in.

They grabbed my mother and stabbed her through her heart.

I covered my mouth to stop from screaming.

All of a sudden a white light lit up the room and then everything went black.

~*•*~*•*~*•*~*•*~*•*~*•*~*•*~*•*~

~Present Day~

I heard the sound of something running across the floor. I opened my eyes to see a rat sitting by my head.

"Uhhhhh!" I screamed out. The scruffy little rat scurried off. I got up from the floor and looked back out the vent. The room was dark and dusty. I saw what looked like my mothers dress. Then I remembered she was dead. I looked around to make sure the men weren't still there. Then I kicked at the little door till it opened.

I got up and made my way to my mother. What I found was a rotted skull of a human wearing a worn cloth which was all that was left of her dress.

This couldn't be my mother I had been out only a couple of minutes a hour at most.

I leaned over the body and found her necklace. The one she told me as a young child that she would pass on to me when I was ready. I took the necklace from around her neck and placed it on mine.

'How long had I been in that room?'I asked myself. I stared at my mother and fell to my knees and cried. Why had they killed her? What did she do? Where do I go now?

It was then I remembered my mothers words right before she locked me in.

I went back to the hidden space and found the stuff my mother had thrown in it.

There was a bag, a cloak, and the letters. I picked up the letters to see who they were addressed to.

One was addressed to Carlisle, then another was addressed to a women named Esme, the last was to me. I didn't know any Esme's and even if I did I wouldn't know where to look.

I picked up the letter addressed to me and held it. I knew the moment I opened that my life would change. I was afraid, but who wouldn't be in my situation. My mother was gone, my father was dead but now he is supposedly still roaming the earth. I had to be brave though. I owed my mother that much.