Chapter 10 - Climb faster

Start from the beginning

​But then he died in a hiking accident. I was in school when I go the call from mom saying what happened. His gear malfunctioned and he fell to his death. When I heard this news I completely fell apart. I answered the call from mom while we had work time in class. I got up to do something, go somewhere, I couldn't be cramped inside a building any longer; I fell as my legs gave out on me. The teacher and some kids asked if I was alright, but I barely heard them. I got up again and walked out of class without saying a word.

​I was in eighth grade when this happened. I walked out to the football field and sat on the fifty yard line staring at nothing. Later, Meka and Peri came out, school could have been over for all I know, and just sat with me. I don't know how long we sat like that, but I was thankful they were there for me.

​I am brought back to the tree when a scream erupts and a shadow falls down and hits the ground with a thump. I don't dare look down at the body. I am almost to the top of the tree and there is only a few people ahead of me. Each of them have a flag and head down. I quickly grab mine and stare at the view before me, I can almost see over the edge of the walls sitting way up here. I turn my head to look at the people below me, some are gasping for air while others struggle up the tree.

​I start moving my way downward when I see two people in the thick branches of the tree. Fists are flying and curses are yelled as they fight one another. Below them the branch breaks because they decided to pick a fight on a branch that can't hold their weight. Both tumble down, one hits a few branches before latching onto one and stopping his fall the other isn't so lucky. He falls almost half way down before a branch catches his fall, but he isn't moving. I imagine what it must have felt like for my Uncle to fall, knowing the entire way what would happen to him.

​Shaking myself I move downward again easily dropping from branch to branch. I almost catch up to the group ahead before the branch beneath cracks and breaks under me. I let out a silent screech as I fall, but it doesn't last long. I fly past the guys below me before I am able to grab a branch. My shoulder feels like it might pop out of place, but it holds and I am now in first.

​Then, I remember what Messy said, "First is the worst, second is the best..."

​What the hell? Everyone who isn't a first year is laughing as we compete. The bets explained that just fine. Some of them are smoking and others are drinking while they watch us. I don't understand the rhyme though. According to the rhyme, I definitely don't want to be anything but second. Do I really trust Messy on this or ignore him altogether? If I choose the latter, I might regret it. Isn't first the best way to go, how can it possibly be the worst? Whatever he meant, I can't take any chances here.

​I have to make my choice now because a person just passed me, it's now or never. I climb down quickly after him, keeping all others behind me. The guy ahead has more or less ten feet to go, swinging down one final branch he jumps down and hits the ground rolling. Cheers enter the air as people who betted on him win. A few seconds later, I follow suit and jump down next to him.

​Though everyone's attention is on him and no one notices me, except the creeper's partner who is keeping track of those who finish. The crowd surrounds the first place winner and I fade into the background. I sit on the ground near the edge of the clearing breathing hard from the climb. I watch as others fall to the ground one by one. Messy walks up to me and sits down next to me.

​"I see you followed my advice."

​"Not intentionally, the result just happened to follow your rhyme. I didn't even think you were smart enough to come up with a rhyme like that."

​"I didn't. The guy talking did. Someone new comes up with a theme every year. That was this years' theme. Guy like rhymes and ghost stories."

​"You mean the creep. Didn't like him very much. Struck a small chord with me."