1. Banishment

Merlin appeared in a swirl of white mist, in some woods far away from Camelot. He leaned against a tree, with tears running down his cheeks. Arthur knows. He knows and he hates him. Arthur sentenced him to the pyre. Merlin shuddered as fear set in his heart. Merlin had nightmares of dying by the pyre and it has caused him many sleepless nights filled with terror and pain. Merlin can never return to Camelot. Ever. He's failed. Magic will never be free. He will never be free. And it was his fault. The thought caused Merlin to sob harder and he collapsed on the floor in a broken mess.

***

"Where did he go?" Arthur growled at the guards. The guards simply stared at the spot where Merlin vanished, just a few seconds prior.

"W-we don't know." One of guards said.

Arthur growled and threw his sword on the floor in anger.

"Find him. I want that sorcerer found." He spat the word 'sorcerer' as if it were poison. "Now!"

"But sire, we-"

"I SAID NOW!" Arthur roared at them. The guards bowed, and left the throne room. "Everyone out." There was no telling them twice. Everyone in the room practice fled the hall, none willing to be on the receiving end of the King's ire. The only people that stayed, were Guinevere, Gwaine, Leon, Elyan, Percival and Gaius.

Gaius stepped forward, to see if hee can make the King see sense. "Sire-"

Arthur whirled round on him, his fierce glare causing the Physician to cut himself off. Gaius couldn't help but think, that he looks so much like Uther in that moment. "You. You knew, didn't you?"

"I..."

"Gaius don't lie to me. You lived with him. You knew didn't you?"

Gaius stood up tall. "Yes, sire. I did."

Arthur growled. "Then I have no choice but to-"

"Arthur, Merlin is a good man. He only ever used his magic to help you. Surely what you have just seen doesn't make him a traitor." Gwaine spoke up, interrupting Arthur.

"He had magic." Arthur spat.

"He just saved your life." Gwaine spat back. "Didn't you see the way that Merlin was shaking when you gave him his sentence? He was terrified, Arthur."

"He's a sorcerer. Magic is evil."

"Oh, so just because he has magic, he's automatically evil? Yeah Merlin is definitely an evil sorcerer." Gwaine said, voice heavy with sarcasm. "Saving your life, risking his own for a King who would have him killed, protecting you against those sorcerers a few minutes ago. And practically begging you for penance. Yeah, very evil." Gwaine's voice turned venomous towards the end.

"It's all an act. He's lied to us, he's deceived us and he has magic. All magic is evil. And Merlin is no exception."

"Do you hear yourself? He's your friend. You of all people sho-"

"He is not friend. He never was. And one more word out of you, Sir Gwaine, you'll have the same fate." Arthur snapped.

"For defending my friend?"

"For defending a known sorcerer." Arthur said. Gwaine snapped his mouth shut, glared at the 'King' and stormed out. But he stopped at the door.

"Looks like Merlin was wrong about you. You are just like Uther." Then he left, slamming the throne room door behind him. Arthur whirled around to the rest of the Knights.

"Anyone else?" The Knights shifted uncomfortably, but stayed quiet. "Good. Leave us." They all bowed, and quietly left. The only ones in the hall now were Gaius, Arthur and Guinevere.

"Sire, I believe you are making a mistake." Gaius said.

Arthur scoffed. "A mistake? I'm cleansing the world of the evil in which inhabits it. Just like my father." Arthur said. "I'm giving you one last chance, Gaius. You're my oldest and most trusted friend. But you will be watched. Do not betray me again."

"Thank you, sire. I just wish you give that chance to Merlin. He's the one that deserves it." Gaius said, then left.

"I think Gaius is right." Gwen said, quietly.

Arthur turned to her sharply. "Merlin is a traitor. And I will find him. And he will pay for his crimes." Arthur said, and Gwen fell silent. There was nothing she could say or do, to deter her husband's intentions. She can only pray that Arthur never finds him.

***

It took a while for Merlin to calm down and when he had, he took in his surroundings. He was some woods and Merlin recognised them almost immediately. These were the woods that lead to the bridge to the Perilous Lands. Why is he here? All he thought of was to get as far away from Camelot, from Arthur, as possible. Then again, Arthur wouldn't be coming here anytime soon. Merlin slowly stood up, suddenly feeling very weak. He put his arm out to steady himself. He wiped his face of stray tears on his cheeks and stumbled forward. His whole life had been ripped apart in a matter of minutes. And now Merlin has nothing left. He can't go back to Ealdor, because that's where Arthur would most likely look first. And his mother is safer if she doesn't know his whereabouts. One problem, though. His stuff is still in Camelot. He doesn't have much, mind, but some of his things are quite important, like his Sidhe Staff and his magic book from Gaius. He has to see if he can go back at nightfall. It's extremely dangerous, but if he transports himself in his room, take everything that he needs, and perhaps say a quick goodbye to Gaius, and leave straight afterwards, he might be able to get in and out undetected. It's a long shot, he knows, but it's the only plan he's got. If Merlin remembers correctly, the Bridge should be through those trees.

Merlin stumbled as he walked through the woods, into the clearing where the Bridge was. He almost fell over when he reached the clearing, and the Bridge Keeper, Grettir Merlin thinks his name was, appeared out of nowhere. "Ah, so Magic has returned." Grettir greeted when he saw Merlin.

"H-hi." Merlin said, his voice slightly hoarse from crying so much earlier. He coughed to clear his throat.

"What brings you to the Perilous Lands, this time Emrys?" Grettir asked.

"Banishment." Merlin answered and, to his horror, his eyes welled up with tears again. "I'm on the run, because Arth--I mean, King Arthur, found out about me and now he hates me and wants me d-dead." His voice cracked on the last word, but he refused to break down again. Especially, not in front of another creature of magic. "I needed to get away and my magic brought me here. I've failed." Merlin's voice faded to a whisper on the last word.

Grettir seemed to regard Merlin in sympathy. "I am sorry, Emrys." Grettir said. He then looked thoughtful. "Thanks to you, the Land of the Fisher King are flourishing once again. Our says in the Old Prophecies that the Warlock, Emrys, will rule the land of the Fisher King for it to be restored to its former glory. Will you accept?"

Merlin thought about it. He can no longer return to Camelot (although he does need to in order to get his stuff) and it's not like he had anywhere else to go. But on the other hand, he knows he will just fail the people. He's already failed his destiny. Or maybe this was his destiny all along. He decided.

"I'll do it."