Prologue

Merlin's eyes were glowing gold as he stood in the middle of the hall, with his arm out stretched, a golden shield separating him and the three sorcerers who came to attack Camelot. Merlin knew that everyone was looking at him in shock, but that was the least of his worries at the moment. He can't let these three sorcerers kill Arthur. He can't. The fireball vanished when it hit Merlin's shield. The sorcerers all looked shocked at first, but then it morphed into anger. "Emrys." The first sorcerer hissed, contempt clear in his voice.

Merlin lowed his hand and the shield disappeared. Merlin dropped his façade of the clumsy servant and his stance changed to that of authority and power. The gold was still swirling in his eyes showing his power. "Why are you here?" Merlin asked, coldly. His voice resonating around the entire hall causing several people to flinch in slight fear. Merlin payed them no mind.

"Still protecting someone who would execute you, I see." The first one said. Merlin's eyes narrowed.

"Why. Are. You. Here?" Merlin repeated, punctuating each word, calmly. His voice was powerful. Dangerous.

"You dare protect a Pendragon?" The second one spat. "You're a traitor to your kind, Emrys."

Merlin was filled with fury. "No." Merlin said, anger lacing his voice. "You are betraying your kind. Leave Camelot. And if you ever return, I will be the first and last face you see." The sorcerers didn't move. "NOW!" Merlin bellowed. Everyone flinched in fear at the fury, volume and pure, unadulterated power in Merlin's voice.

The first sorcerer smirked, then. "That is, if your king doesn't kill you first." He laughed, spitefully. "Fair well, Emrys."

"Wit à àdrèosan innan gesweorc." They all chanted, eyes flashing a dark gold and they vanished in swirls of black mist, that engulfed the three of them away from Camelot. Merlin closed his eyes, and when he opened them again, the magic in his eyes vanished, and Merlin's shoulders slumped. It was quiet for a long moment.

"Sorcerer!" The voice of King Arthur Pendragon rung throughout the room, cold and full of hate evident in his voice, breaking the silence.

Merlin froze and fear seeped into his very bones. What had he done? He had just used magic in front of the entire royal court. In front of Arthur. Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. This wasn't meant to happen. Arthur wasn't meant find out like this. Not now. Merlin's hands were trembling and he slowly turned around to face his King. And what he saw made him flinch in fear. For Arthur's eyes were hard and cold. Betrayal and anger were swirling in Arthur's eyes. But it was the complete and utter fear, hatred and disgust that Merlin saw, which made Merlin's heart break. All he had ever hoped for, ever dreamed of, was Arthur's forgiveness and acceptance. And now Merlin realised that it truly was just that. A dream. A fantasy that will never come to pass. Arthur had been betrayed one to many times, and it seemed that Merlin's betrayal was the final straw. Merlin had never seen that look on Arthur's face before, and the fact that it's directed at him, terrified him far more than the prospect of being executed did. Merlin often had nightmares of Arthur sentencing him death because of his magic, but the reality of it is far worse than the nightmares ever were. Merlin's eyes welled up in tears as he looked at his King. Not fifteen minutes prior, they were laughing and joking around and now, fifteen minutes later, Arthur stands in hatred and disgust upon Merlin because of what he now knows. Merlin would never be able to show him the wonders and the beauty of what magic can do. It's too late. Far too late. "A-Arthur, I..."

"Silence." Arthur growled. Merlin snapped his jaw shut. Merlin gulped. "I did not say you could speak." Merlin looked around the room and saw that everyone had the same looks on their faces. Disgust and fear. Even sweet Guinevere was looking upon him with a blank mask on her face. Gaius was the only one who looked at him with sympathy and worry. The Knights, too, were glaring at him and Merlin almost broke. But he tried to stay strong, but Merlin knew it was futile to even try. "Arrest him." Arthur bellowed. Two guards grabbed hold his arms so tightly, that it almost hurt. "You are a liar and a traitor. You will be burnt at the stake, come dawn." Then Merlin broke. He paled considerably and was practically shaking in fear and suppressed sobs. Not the pyre. Anything, but the pyre.

"N-no. Arthur, please, not the pyre. I beg you, please. N-not the pyre. Anything but that." Merlin didn't care how pathetic he sounds. He's absolutely terrified. Tears were falling down his cheeks as he begged not to die on the pyre.

"ENOUGH!" Arthur yelled at him. "That is my final decision. Take him away." Arthur had never sounded so like Uther, until that moment. As the guards dragged him away Merlin's eyes instinctively flashed gold, and he vanished in a pure white mist away from Camelot, his home and everything he knows.

***

A/N: Ooh, what happens next? Aw, poor Merlin. I hope you all like the Prologue. I would have posted this on my other account, Triquetra123, but thought better of it. I am still working on my other stories dint worry. I just had this idea, and I thought I might write it. Just so you know, this is NOT a Merthur fic this time. It is set after season 4, so Gwen is Queen and Arthur's wife. I'd you have any ideas, feel free to let me know. Thanks :)

Don't forget to vote and comment.

@Merthur_Shipper