Chapter Seventy Three

   Alex was standing in the shadows for a few minutes before Sirius Black noticed him. The wizard was sat on a bench, head bowed and his hands clasped between his knees. Alex knew he didn't have long to intrude on his dream, or in this universe even, but he was lost in his own muddled thoughts and regrets, some he knew he was sharing with Sirius at that very moment.

Eventually though, he did raise his head.

"Alex?" he said. His voice was hoarse and his eyes were blood shot. "What's happening, am I back-"

"No," said Alex quickly, shaking his head and stepping into the dim morning light. "You're not back in Limbo. You've just nodded off. I wanted to come see you, see how you were doing."

Sirius grimaced and leaned back against the stone wall. They were in a small alcove attached to the church in Godric's Hollow, and outside it was drizzling. "How do you think I'm doing," he said gruffly. "I'm about to bury my Godson next to my best friend."

Alex sighed and walked over to the bench, gathering up his tailcoat and sitting down beside the man he'd only briefly met in Limbo. Sir Woofsalot materialised from under his feet, and rubbed his head against Sirius' leg. Absently, the other man dropped his hand to stroke his fur.

"If it's any consolation," Alex said. "I know it's what Harry wanted. To save you." He waggled his fingers at him. "In both our worlds, you were the closest thing he had to family, and he was willing to give his life for yours." He cleared his throat and looked out through the yawning. "They both were."

Sirius looked up from the puppy, regret and horror blossoming on his face. "Not your Harry too?" he said.

Alex sighed. "He's still in Limbo," he said. "Been there a few days. He lost his body to Voldemort, so...that's that. He can't go back."

Sirius lowered his head again, shaking it. "It's not right," he said. "I had my life, he should have left it, should have..." He trailed off, still shaking his head angrily.

"That's why I wanted to pop by," said Alex. "I know it's been an emotional few days, what with the Ministry on your back."

Sirius made a disdainful noise. "The kids gave their testimony right there in the Death Chamber, they were so hysterical after Harry...After we got back. I think they scared the Unspeakables a little if I'm honest." He rubbed his hands over his face. "I don't really care," he said. "I just wanted to be here today, to do my job, to pull the casket. They can throw me back in Azkaban after that for all it matters."

"Nope," said Alex, standing up and shaking his head. "No, that's not what Harry would have wanted and you know it. You have to keep fighting, for him, for both of you."

"I just don't see the point," said Sirius, and Alex looked on him kindly.

"You will," he promised. "Maybe not today, or next week or even next year. But eventually you will see the point again, and you'll be glad of it."

"Harry was what got me through Azkaban," said Sirius. "All those months, sleeping in caves, living like a dog. And now the Ministry are willing to believe I might not have caused Lily and James' death, but..." He trailed off, his eyes lost staring in the middle distance.

Alex placed his hand on Sirius' shoulder. "I'm sorry," he said.

Sirius nodded but didn't look up. "I know," he said. "It all got pretty messed up didn't it?"

Alex lifted his hand and wrapped his arms around his waist. "You have no idea," he said with a sigh. "We'll be recovering from this for decades."