I nodded, going around and helping him out.

I handed him over to the police, making sure to give Manny a hug and my business card.

I drove away feeling a sense of accomplishment.

When bounties go the way this one did, it makes me proud of what I do.

Makes me feel like I'm making a difference.

Even if its a small one.

I made my way back to work and saw my boss Jack, sitting on my desk.

"Did you make him cry?" He asked.

I could hear the humor in his voice and it made me smile.

"I didn't do it on purpose." I said honestly.

"Sure you didn't." Jack said.

I looked up at him and I couldn't help but feel a small blush spread across my cheeks.

"So what do you need Jack?" I asked him.

"Go out to dinner with me." Jack said smoothly, looking up at me from under his eyelashes.

Man is he gorgeous.

But I knew exactly how this was gonna turn out.

And that was in disaster.

I may make mistakes.

But I never make them twice.

Not usually anyway.

"That's not a good idea, Jack." I told him.

"Why not? Its just dinner." He said simply.

"With you, things are never as they seem. I'm not mixing business with pleasure anymore. You taught me that." I told him, keeping the bitterness out of my voice.

He looked up at me and his eyes turned smoldering.

"Just dinner. Please." He pleaded.

I opened my mouth, ready to accept when my cell rang.

I flipped it open, vaguely aware of Jacks stare.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Don't do it. Just get up, and slowly back away." My friend Jasmine whispered.

I looked at my caller I.D. surprised to see that she had blocked her number.

"Number one, why are you whispering? Number two, why did you block your number?" I asked with a laugh.

"I blocked my number cause I knew you wouldn't answer it with Mr. Hotness standing in front of you. Two, its funner this way." She said, still whispering.

I laughed and then stopped.

"Wait, how did you---," I asked, quickly looking around.

"I'm standing in the doorway." She said, and I turned when I heard her voice.

She smirked and started walking over to me.

I looked at Jack and saw him cock his brow as he looked Jasmine up and down.

My mouth opened in shock and he quickly looked away.

"Get your shit bitch, we're going out tonight." She said with a grin.

I started to laugh as she helped me with my stuff.

"Mia? Not taking me up on my offer?" Jack asked.

I looked over at him.

I opened my mouth to answer but Jasmine wrapped her arm around my waist and pulled me close.

"I'd appreciate if you didn't talk to my girlfriend, dude. She's not into guys anymore. I'm picking up the slack now." She said with a smile as she kissed my cheek.

I laughed at the look on Jacks face as he watched me and Jasmine walk away.

When we were out of his sight, I moved out of her grasp.

"What was all that about?" I asked her.

"You were getting ready to fall for it. I was saving you. You'll thank me later when you meet a hot guy at the club." She said, walking over to my car.

"Come on Jazz. I don't want to go out tonight." I whined.

"Well that's too bad. I'm tired of watching you mope around after that asshole. We're going out. And that's that." She said.

I sighed deeply and got in my car.

There's no point in arguing with Jazz when she sets her mind on something.

Its like charging at a brick wall.

Maybe Jazz is right.

I need to stop moping.

I'm gonna have a great time tonight.

And I won't let anyone ruin my night.