Chapter Fourteen

"Hawke, I want you to do something for me." Lily said that night as she laid her head against her husbands hard, sweat covered chest and listened to his heart thundering.

"Anything." Hawke replied running his hand over her bare backside and up her long slender back. Lily trembled beneath his touch and raised up on her elbow so she could look down at him.

"Teach me how to use a gun." Hawke's eyes narrowed at the request and he pushed her long dark hair behind her ear.

"Are you sure?" he asked. He knew her fear of guns ran deep ever since Nathan had pressed that gun to her temple.

"Yes I'm sure. Wolf is getting older now and won't be able to protect me like he used to and I have Sarah and the baby to think about. I want to know how to protect us. There are more and more people coming to town and that means more and more bad people are here too and then with the mountain lions and bears…"

"Okay. Tomorrow I will teach you." Hawke replied. It would be a relief to know that his wife could protect herself and his children when he could not be around.

"I want to learn how to shoot all of them. The rifle and the shotgun. The revolver you keep under the bed and that tiny pistol. I want to learn how to shoot them all."

"I will teach you."

"No one will ever take advantage of me again Hawke. I've been afraid for too long."

"You know I will never let anyone hurt you again." Hawke vowed pulling her body closer to his and kissing her hair.

"There might come a time you're not here though and I need to know how to protect myself and our children."

"You are strong, naakiiwa, and I am proud of you." Lily snuggled up against him taking in his warmth and strength.

"I love you." she said and he held her tighter as they drifted off to sleep.

888

"Did you really think you could get away from me, son?" John's voice said with a laugh. "Deep down, Jack, you and I are just alike. The law has no meaning for us. We just take what we want, when we want and it doesn't matter who we have to hurt."

"I am nothing like you." Jack argued. He looked around but all he could see was blackness. There was no light and the air was heavy and nearly unbreathable.

"Oh but you are. You've killed dozens of men, Jack. You've orphaned children and windowed wives. How long do you think it will be before pretty little Allie dies because of you? How long before you lose your temper and blow a hole in her pretty head just like you have countless people before her?"

"I would never hurt, Allie." Jack argued. He tried to go for his gun as his father stepped out of the blackness but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't move his arms. It was like his body was frozen.

"Hello, little Allie." John said and Jack watched in horror as Allie walked out of the darkness. She was staring straight at him and smiling with love and trust as she walked toward him.

"What are you doing?" Jack demanded of John.

"Who are you talking to?" Allie asked. Jack tried to point at his pa but he found he still could not move.

"Can't you see him?" Jack demanded. Allie shook her head and kept walking toward him.

"All I see is you." she replied.

"Show her ,Jack." John said with a cold smile. "Show her what kind of man you really are."

"I love you, Jack." Allie said softly.