Chapter Thirteen

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

 They rode in silence for a while, both of them waiting for the other to speak first. Allie was the first to overcome her nerves and break the silence.

"Jack…" she said and then she chickened out and bit her lip. What was wrong with her? She had never had a problem with saying what she wanted to say before.

"What is it, Allie?" Jack asked.

"I missed you." she said quietly as she picked at Buttercups mane. Jack looked over at her and she could feel his blue eyes on her as she stared down at Buttercups light blond hair.

"I missed you too." he said. "More than you'll ever know." Then he stuck his hand up as if he expected her to lose her temper. "Now before you yell at me and tell me there is no way I missed you because I never tried to write to you or come back to you, you need to know…" Allie shook her head and looked over at him with a sad smile.

"I know, Jack."

"You know what?" Jack asked with confusion.

"I heard you talking to Hawke the other night." Allie admitted as she looked back down at her hands and started chewing on her lip.

"Oh." Jack said as he shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. "You heard all of that huh?" Allie nodded.

"Yes." Jack clenched his jaw and wished that a giant hole would open up in the forest floor and swallow him. Knowing that Allie had heard him baring his soul to Hawke made him want to disappear.

"I uh… I didn't know you were listening." he said rubbing the back of his soot covered neck.

"I'm glad I was." Allie replied. Jack pulled out a rolled cigarette and lit it. Allie curled her nose but said nothing.

"I'm sorry, Allie. I'm sorry for hurting you and leaving you. I've done a heck of a lot of stupid things in my life but hurting you was definitely the stupidest."

"Yes it was." Allie agreed with a teasing smile. Jack was about to reply when he heard a rustling sound coming from some bushes on Allie's side of the trail. Janna started growling low in her throat and jumped between Allie and the bushes.

"Jack." Allie said with fear. She knew it had to be a mountain lion. Janna hated mountain lions after being attacked as a pup.

"I'm right here, doll. Ain't nothing gonna hurt ya." Jack promised. He pulled his revolver just as the bushes exploded and a mass of teeth and claws came flying out. Janna snarled and leapt forward and Jack cursed because it kept him from taking a shot.

"Run, Allie!" he yelled. Allie didn't have a choice but to run as Buttercup spooked and took off into the woods. Jack prayed that Allie would be able to hang on to the galloping mare and he turned his attention back to the mountain lion and Janna.

"Get outta the way!" He yelled at Janna who was wrestling around the forest floor with the cat. The only reason the fool headed wolf wasn't dead yet was because the cat was a small one and did not look very healthy. He holstered his useless gun. He couldn't fire a shot while Janna was in the way and he yanked on the reins of his horse trying to keep her from spooking.

Janna let out a whimper and he knew she was losing. He couldn't let the worthless critter die because that would break Allie's heart. He pulled his knife, cursed under his breath and jumped from his horse and onto the pile of white and brown fur wrestling on the ground.