{1}

"Luke, it's not going to work," Michael protested.

"C'mon, that's never stopped us before! Have a little faith," I replied with a smug grin on my sweaty face. "And don't get killed."

(SKYLAR: MY, THATS A BIG PLAN YOUVE GOT THERE...) (BECCA:OMG SHUT UP SKYLAR! SHEESH) (Skylar: nuio) (Becca: that's not even a word) (Skylar: Yies)

I screwed the last brand new bolt into place. I stepped back along with the guys and we waited after I ordered it to turn on politely.

"I told you so," Michael retorted with a proud smile playing on his lips.

I shook my head and wiped the sweat off my forehead.

"No, that can't be right..."

I started towards the table and I was about to start eyeing the machine for mistakes before the machine jerk up to an upright position.

The robot turned his head towards us and tilted it in curiosity.

I let out a great sigh of relief and joy. I jumped up high and cheered with Calum and Ashton. Michael stood astonished.

"Great! Alright, M530-15, take a walk around the lab," I instructed.

The robot turned its legs to the edge of the table and walked smoothly around the perimeter of the tiny space that was cluttered with tools and pieces.

This time, all of us cheered.

"We've got a robot!" Calum chanted.

"We did it!" Ashton joined in.

"I'm amazed that this happened! Great job, everyone!" Michael complimented.

"What is going on, creators?" M530-15 asked in its robotic voice.

"We're celebrating the birth of our first robot, you should join!" Ashton suggested.

"I do not understand this 'birth' you speak of. Robots are not born. They are created."

"Well, you're like a son to us. You're family," Calum put.

"I have never had a family, what is it like?"

"It's like being surrounded by the people who love and care about you," Ashton replied, still grinning ear to ear.

"Robots have no ability to love or care. There for, I cannot have a family," M530-15 argued.

"Eh, that's why we created this chip for you. We implant it in your head were your main circuit is and it'll allow you to feel all emotions people feel," I inputted.

(Skylar: Baymax, really?) (Becca: I WAS WATCHING BIG HERO 6 OKAY?!)

"Well, what are you waiting for?"

M530-15's lights shut off and his body went limp. I grabbed him before he fell and gently placed him on the workbench table. I went through all the procedures to implant the chip whilst feeling the three breaths of my roommates down my neck.

"I've gotten the chip implanted, but since I'm in here, I should probably fix the part where he powers down so he doesn't fall and break," I explain to the boys as I start my project.

They just nod and watch as I went through the whole thing.

"Maybe once we teach M530-15 the basics, we can build a robot dog," Ashton suggested.

Calum gasped right in my ear.

"I would love a dog!" He squealed.

"We could program it so it won't need to eat, pee, or all of that! Genius! High-five, self!" Michael then proceeded to high-five himself.

"Um, could you guys be any louder? I don't think our families at home heard you," I snapped.

We had gotten this home for the four of us to pursue our dreams of becoming world famous inventors.

"Sheesh, sorry, crabby pants," Calum muttered, still grinning at the thought of having a dog.

"He's just jealous that he didn't get to vote on getting a dog," Ashton stated, giggling.

"I'm not jealous," I replied calmly, still eyeing the robot. "Im perfectly fine with having one."

"Sure..." Michael said sarcastically whilst rolling his eyes.

Finally, I finished tinkering with the robot. We, again, stood back after I commanded it to turn on. This time, M530-15 reacted quicker and crisper.

"Good evening, creators," M530-15 greeted. His voice was clearer and more distinct.

"Hello, M5-"

"Gizmo," Ashton interrupted.

(Skylar: BEIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT LIGHT!!!)

We all turned to look at him.

" 'Gizmo'? Is this a name for me?" M530-15 asked.

The three of us shrugged while Ashton nodded eagerly.

"If you're going to be in our family, you need a better name than 'M530-15'," Ashton explained.

"I...I..." We waited for M530-15 -or, 'Gizmo',- to finish. "I...love it!"

"He has emotions!" I exclaimed, happier than I've ever been.

"I can feel...love..." Gizmo whispered. "And...and I think I like it..."

"So..." Michael started.

"Can we build the doggie now?" Calum interrupted excitedly.

I gave them a look.

"Guys, we just built M53- I, mean- Gizmo, and you already want the robot dog?"

"Yeah! And we can name it Gadget!" Calum offered happily.

"Sick idea, mate!" Michael exclaimed as he and Calum high-fived.

"We'll build the robo-dog when we've taught Gizmo the basics of his chores and socializing so we can take him out in public," I randomly rambled as I rand my fingers through my oily, dirty, and uncombed blonde hair.

I could feel perspiration all over my face and scalp. Man, I needed a shower.

"Luke, how about we have a break from working just did maybe a few days," Ashton suggested politely.

"Yeah, we could go out in public and socialize!" Calum laughed.

"But, you'd have to take, like, five showers," Michael rudely inputted.

"Yeah, thanks, Michael," I sarcastically replied. "But maybe you guys are right. Maybe I do need to get away from the workshop."

"Uh, it's just the garage, mate," Ashton corrected.

"Don't kill my dreams," I joked.

"Um, if I may intrude," Gizmo began. Oh, I forgot he was still here.

"Go on, Gizmo," I told him, rubbing my eyes in a stressed out sort of way.

"When may I go 'out'." He held up his fingers to put air quotes around the word "out".

"Well, once we have you all social ready and you know what to say and what not to say," Michael replied.

"What does that mean? I am not programmed with this information."

Ashton strode towards him and patted Gizmo's shoulder.

"We'll get there, Giz, we'll get there," Ashton told the robot, still patting his shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: how did you guys enjoy the first chapter? I think I'm gonna like this book and I'm really excited. I hope you guys are too! See ya!

~Becca