Chapter 1

"We're here!" Mom says as we pull into the parking lot. We're hear. Oh my gosh. We're hear. The nerves kick in, and I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I feel even more nervous than I did at Oireachtas last month, and that's saying something!

Alright, enough with the drama. It's my first prelim feis today. Razz decided that since I got 22nd at my first Oireachtas when I was only in Prizewinner, and I beat a bunch of prelim girls, that I should get to move up to Prelim. The problem is, I don't wanna let her down and show her she made the wrong decision moving me up to prelim. I guess I do put a lot of pressure on myself but I don't know. I guess since I got 22nd at MARO I feel like I should be one of the best at the feises every time. And since I feel like I should be towards the top a lot, I practiced my butt off yesterday at home. For 4 hours. I felt absolutely dead after, but hey it was worth it!

My mom and I unload our bags from the car and start into the venue.
"It's gonna be weird because I won't know anybody." I say.
"How do you know that?" Mom asks me.
"Because it's prelim. I don't know anyone, and I don't think Chloe's coming." At times like this, I wish I had my new best friends, Ava and Mia with me. I met them at the Oireachtas. Ava got 14th and Mia got 33rd, and we hung out like the whole day after solos. That was also the day when Chloe was a total jerk to me. I've seen her around at school but she's only said hi and then walked in the opposite direction. I don't know what I did to her, maybe she's jealous. I don't know.
"Who knows, there could be somebody that you know." Mom's words break me out of my thinking.
"Yeah." I say but somehow I doubt it. I don't have too many friends at feises. From other schools, I mean. I guess it's because I've been moving through the levels so quickly that when I finally meet some nice girls in my level and age group, I enter the next level and don't see them anymore. So feises can be pretty lonely.

(30 minutes later)
"Wanna warm up, Luce?" Mom asks. I nod and put on my hard shoes and head over to the stage. The feis starts in 20 minutes, and I'm the second competition so I wanna test out the stage and run through my steps before I hit the stage for the real thing.

There's about 10 other girls and boys onstage practicing but I just block them out and focus on my dancing. I make sure not the run into any other dancers but none of them really come near me. After running through my jig I work on my clicks and double clicks. Then I walk back over to my mom and my stuff to stretch. I'm sitting in my right split when I hear my name called.