CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

The auction had been a great success, especially having Rhoda's presence at the Inn, a great crowd puller and Lord James had helped too asking his friends and business acquaintances to come along and meet Rhoda. Almost everything sold, only a few wedding items and day garments left to return to Paris. The bank lady, Jane, a friend of Lord James, had counted up all the takings and had promised to bank it the next morning at the bank where she worked, saying a cheque would be available by the next week-end, to be collected at the bank with press coverage; just under two hundred and fifty thousand had been collected and Hassan wrote a cheque for the difference on his return.

Hassan's return also triggered the party of double celebrations for the auction and his boat's maiden voyage, it's kitchen counters covered with trays of finger foods and dips and salads, enough to feed a small army, and the small dining table held trays of delicious deserts. Champagne flowed into flutes and congratulations were given all round for their hard work and the name change of the boat now 'The Green Goddess' which Hassan had chosen to call it.

While everyone else was responding to the toasts, Mr and Mrs Wood were overwhelmed and considering the money raised; exceeding what they needed themselves; discussing ideas of what to do with the excess and finally deciding that it should go to start a fund for other families in the same situation as themselves and soon put the idea to Rhoda, asking her if that would be possible. Rhoda promptly sat down with them in a quiet corner of the living area and suggested they and their friends, who had helped them today, form a committee and choose a name to register with the local council to gain help with legal matters and write out a constitution for the charity; an agreement of what the charity was about and who would benefit; which they agreed to do, gathering their friends together straight away and they were happy to agree, giving everyone a third event to celebrate.

Rhoda contacted Yvette and told her how well the team had done for the Wood's and that they were planning on extending the charity for other families with children with cancer related illnesses, suggesting another fashion auction in six months time to top up the fund, giving her names and addresses of the fashion retailers who had attended today to be informed of the future event, promising to fax the full quota of attendants the next day, so thank you letters could be sent out. Yvette was pleased and agreed, checking dates in her diary and giving a date to Rhoda to pass on to the Wood's.

Hassan overheard the conversation, carrying a tired Rocky towards Rhoda; but waited for her to finish her call and pass on the date of the next auction to Mrs Wood; who was soon hugging every one of her friends who were as excited as she was; before getting close up and touching Rhoda's shoulder. He had wondered while he had waited if she was going to come back for the next one and if she was going to be asking Justin soon if she could re-instate herself as his partner of the House de la Roche.

He had given her a way out of his life, his future, but he didn't want her to take it. He would do anything to have her stay with him, but if he became King and had to live on the mountain, how could he expect her to stay with him, so far away from her fashion house.

"Hey, sleepy. Time to go home." Rhoda turned and saw Rocky, automatically lifting her arms to take him and his arms came out to her, accompanied by a yawn. He wrapped his arms around her neck and slid against her, already half asleep. 

"I was thinking we could spend the night here. I made the bed up just in case. James can take Grandfather home later and we can clean up when everyone has gone. What do you think?"

"Okay. I did wonder how long we would be here, but there is too much food left to shoo everyone out yet. Can you ask James to get our spare clothes from the jag, please, while I put this tired young man to bed?"

"Ummi, love you." Rocky snuggled his face into her neck, combining Arabic and English, Ummi, his native name for Mother.

Hassan chuckled and kissed Rocky's hair. "No problem, Princess." He assured her, escorting her to the bedroom, opened the door for her and switched on the lights, before going back to James in the crush of people, couples tending to share their seats on laps, while everyone else moved around and chatted. Despite the noise, Rocky was asleep while Rhoda undressed him, leaving him in his shorts and tee-shirt and popped him into the middle of the bed under the rose patterned quilt, warm air from the heating system keeping the chill off the room as the night turned cold outside.