3: It's Just Business

Start from the beginning

Smiling fondly at the memory, I kept it on my face when the server came back with my shot as well as two others. "Look, I'm not looking for a man. I'm perfectly fine alone. Plus, I don't need someone calling me from Vancouver or wherever the hell he's from asking me when I'm going to be back home. I like my freedom."

Kate twisted the shot glass between her fingers and raised a dark brow. "So you've said."

"What about this werepanther I've been hearing about. The family back home are more than intrigued about him." He wiggled his thick eyebrows.

"This again? He's a friend for crying out loud. He's two years older than me and our relationship is nothing but platonic."

"Can we just take a second here and imagine the power that man would hold if you made him immortal." Cal said, ripping at the pieces of bread on his plate. "A vamp-panther. Not ever have I heard of something like that."

"It's not happening ever."

"Okay, well, what happens when you get bored of your travelling lifestyle?" Kate snorted.

"We'll cross that non-existent bridge when we get to it won't we? Now, let's drink this and show Callum that place with all those amazing tea pot cocktail things remember?"

Ignoring their side-eye's I clinked my glasses to theirs and proceeded to swallow the tequila. Wincing, I bit into the lemon and exhaled a fiery breath. Explaining the physics of a vampire getting drunk involved a lot of money and probably a Costco sized crate of alcohol. I was just thankful it was still possible.

We split the bill accordingly and we made our way down the street toward that odd but very busy cocktail bar we visited the night Kate and I were advance level intoxicated. Although much of that night still had to be remembered, I did however recall how awesome the cocktails were.

And tonight was karaoke night apparently. Not my cup of tea, but alright I'll go with it. Especially since it looked like Cal was having a ball.

Laughing as he performed a terrible rendition of Mr. Brightside to a room of fifty people, I moved to the bar to grab another drink. Pausing halfway, I cursed at the lack of money I had in my pocket. I thought I didn't need more than three hundred tonight. That was around forty in American dollars.

"Kate, I'm going to get some money down the street, do you need any?" I shouted in her ear.

She shook her head and I slipped my way out of the bar and outside. Seeing the city so alive even past midnight, I couldn't contain my smile. It was my kind of city. Always on the go, never pausing, not for a thing. I walked down the street into the convenience store and stood behind a couple at the ATM.

"Excuse me, have you seen my mother?"

Glancing behind me I saw a young man probably around the age of sixteen maybe seventeen ask the clerk behind the counter about his mom and how she disappeared down a back street no more than five minutes ago and had yet to return. The man shook his head and the boy scurried back out of the shop into the streets.

How strange. Shrugging, I took out six hundred - not American god no - just so I wouldn't have to make another trip for another few days and stepped back outside. There's that kid, standing a little lost at the side of the road. I looked around the passing groups of people and realised none of them knew why he would be out here by himself, but I did. And I couldn't just leave him out here? No, he wasn't my responsibility, but if I were in his position I would be eternally gratefully to the person that would help me.

"Hey," I moved up to him. He was around my height maybe just an inch taller than my five-eight. "Are you okay? Do you speak much English?"

"Yes," The young man said with a childlike frown which was odd paired up with his deep voice. Maybe he was older than I thought. His eyes were a wonderful hue of green - almost the colour of mint and they contrasted gorgeously against his golden skin and what little dark hair he had. It was peculiar. But he was beautiful. "Can you help me? I've lost my mother."