Getting Acquainted

It had been about six hours since our departure from the Iwagakure gates. The storm was raging around us, whipping my hair around and spraying us with rain from all sides.

This wind really isn't helping anything. I thought as I pulled my hood closer to my face. Some time had passed since the last time I looked around the hem of my hood at Kiba. I was finding myself slightly interested in him. I wanted to know what his story was and why he felt so familiar to me, but the rain was not exactly the most accommodating when trying to make friendly small talk. At the start of our trek, Kiba tried to engage in some conversation, asking me what my home was like and if I'll miss it at all. He even asked if I had any friends that I might try to keep in contact with. I must admit, I didn't feel that comfortable discussing my past with a stranger. I really wasn't comfortable talking about my past with anyone for that matter. After receiving very short answers to anything he threw at me, he stopped trying to speak over the storm and we had been running through the trees in silence ever since.

After about 5 minutes, I stopped abruptly, spotting a clearing right below us. An ideal spot to set up a shelter. Kiba and Akamaru stopped also and looked over at me. I reluctantly pulled my hood down and pointed to the ground, letting the rain run down my face and hair.

"This is the perfect place to set up camp, don't cha think?" I semi-yelled over the crack of thunder. Kiba anime sweat dropped.

"What? Out in the open like this while a storm is raging?" He scratched the back of his head and I could tell he was doubting the situation and trying to not be rude. "I'm not sure..."

I smirked at him, but let it spread into a smile. 

"Don't worry about it. We wont be stuck in the storm for long."

And with that I quickly leapt towards the ground, forming hand signs as I fell. As I landed, I slammed both of my palms on the ground and shouted, "Earth Style: Four Pillar Shelter Jutsu!"

Kiba watched with wide eyes from the tree where I once stood as the ground started the rumble in tune with the thunder above us. All of a sudden, four trees of equal distance from each other began to grow at a rapid pace in the middle of the clearing. The trunks extended up into the air, branches splintered from every side and extended out farther than any Kiba had ever seen before. They began intertwining and combining with the branches of the other trees, solidifying and growing in size. The air was filled with sounds of branches and bark cracking and slamming into each other.

"What the..." Kiba started, in awe of the jutsu he witnessed me perform. 

The sounds ceased abruptly and Akamaru jumped down next to me, pushing his head into my hand. Standing in front of me now was a square shelter, resembling that of a log cabin formed out of branches instead of the traditional logs. In each corner of the structure stood the original trees that sprouted out of the ground. I reached forward and swung open the door, allowing Akamaru to bound excitedly inside. As I stepped forward into the doorway I returned my gaze to the tree where Kiba stood.

"Are you coming? Or are you enjoying being soaked to the bone?"

Kiba shook his head fast, snapping himself back to reality and jumped down, quickly taking refuge inside. I smiled triumphantly as I closed the door behind us, blocking out the wails of the storm still raging on.

With the door closed, the square windowless room was too dark to see anything. Having been making these structures for a while, I was prepared. I quickly reached into my pack for my scrolls and summoned my lantern. I lit the wick of the candle inside with a match and closed the glass gently. As I set the lantern down in the middle of the floor, the light started to illuminate the room and my eyes began to adjust.