Chapter 7: Harsh Week

*Adriana's P.O.V*

Tuesday morning started off horribly, I had to change my first outfit after spilling coffee on myself. Then when I was doing my make up I noticed how red my eyes were from last nights emotional take over and the eye drops weren't helping much. To my luck my hair was also untamable today, I picked it up in a bun and walked over to Charlotte's room. I knocked on her door to check if she had left with Sam yet but there was no reply. I walked in and she was nowhere in sight. Guess she left without a goodbye, might be the silent treatment for a while.

I made my way to my car and drove to work with my feelings on edge as I held back tears, which didn't result how I had wanted. Thank god I wore waterproof eyeliner and mascara. I made it to work ten minutes late. I cursed under my breath as I walked into the building and nearly ran to the elevator. When it landed on my floor I got out and almost jumped towards my desk.

I've started the week terribly. I went into my office and started making Mr. Adams' (Sr.) last arrangements for the next two months. I decided I would prepare for his birthday which was near. As I started searching for food to have at the dinner that day Evan walked in. "Good morning Ms. Lancaster my father wishes to see you in his office right away."

I cleared my throat, "Good morning Mr. Adams, I'll be right on it sir." I drank a cup of water and walked out of my office and into Mr. Adams'.

"Sir you called for me?" I asked casting my eyes down, I didn't want to make eye-contact.

"Yes I just wanted to know if everything is alright? It's a very rare occasion when you're late to work, I was simply worried was all." Mr. Adams (Sr.) stated and cleared his throat.

"I do apologize for that sir, I will make up for the time that was lost..." I didn't dare lift my head up.

"Adriana right now I'm not speaking as your boss, I'm speaking as your father's old friend. I'm worried, you walked into my office and haven't looked at me once, which is unusual. What's wrong? Take a seat and talk to me child." I took a seat in front of his desk and slowly looked up, he had a concerned smile on his face. He was reassuring me that it was okay to take the time to talk about my personal problems with him at this moment.

"Umm...I don't really feel comfortable talking about it with your son in the office..." I whispered, embarrassed to have said it.

"Evan please go out and look around to make sure everyone else is working properly, I need a moment alone with Ms. Lancaster." Evan looked up from his desk and nodded his head, then he looked my way with such a blank expression that I wasn't sure what to make out of it.
Once he walked out of the office I looked up at Mr. Adams and cleared my throat. I began to explain my situation to him, he kept quiet, nodding occasionally, until the very end.

After what had been ten minutes he spoke up, "Adriana I can't even begin to understand how hard this all is for you, I mean you're parenting your sister, she's your responsibility now. Look, she's a teenager they react like that sometimes, just give her some time and space. Also give yourself some time to yourself, I'm sure you don't do that much but it's important and if you need to miss work call me okay?" he said calmly with a soft tone.

"I understand, thank you for being such a great help to me and my sister both, my parents would appreciate everything you've done for us." I smiled up at him and cleaned the few tears that had fallen from eyes as he spoke to me. I stood up and said I would be returning back to my work.

~0o0~

It's already Friday afternoon and Charlotte still isn't speaking to me, even though she doesn't want to talk to me I told her that Sam could stay over. The most she's said to me has been 'thank you', 'I'm hungry', and 'I'm going to Sam's'. These simple phrases are what I've been hearing this week, hopefully she's more communicative throughout the weekend.