Chapter 3: Collapsing

*Adriana's P.O.V*

Five minutes of munching on fruits and I started to feel anxious. The feeling ended just as quick as it had started because at that instant I saw Mr. Adams walking through the door, a handsome man walking at his heel. Mr. Adams was looking around as he made his way to my table, "Great job with the preparations Ms. Lancaster, as always. You even brought in some snacks, fruits, and my favorite champagne and wine." He smiled and walked up to the podium, the young man barely looked at me as he walked right behind his father. Mr. Adams cleared his throat and politely asked for everyone to be quiet and be seated. Everyone did as they were told and gave their full attention to him.

"Good afternoon to you all, I sincerely apologize for having held this meeting at the time when you all are about to go home to your families, but today's announcement is of great importance. You were all called here today so that you will be informed of some changes in the company." As he finished this sentence people began to murmur, but as always he reassured the crowd. "There is no need to be alarmed, it is a big change but it has nothing to do with people being let go. Now as you may all know I will be turning 68 in a few months, after this occurs I will be stepping down as CEO. My son Evan Adams will be taking my place, I will still be involved with the company and will regularly visit to see that everything is running smoothly as I will be a member of the board. Thank you all for your time." He pointed over to his son who was seated in a chair near the podium, the young man looked at the crowd and smiled. But his smile didn't seem to reach his eyes. The crowd applauded and then Mr. Adams told everyone that they were allowed to eat and drink as they pleased.

I took a quick drink of wine and checked my phone for a text from Charlotte, once I noticed that she texted me I replied. When it sent I looked up to see Mr. Adams and his son coming towards me, I stood up and straightened out my skirt.

"Evan I would like you to meet the wonderful Adriana Lancaster, she's been my secretary for about four years now. Adriana this is my youngest son Evan Adams." Mr. Adams said as he introduced me to his son. I smiled and put out my hand to shake Evan's, he looked into my eyes and shook my hand. His hand felt so warm and his eyes were a gorgeous emerald green. I suddenly felt my cheeks burning from embarrassment and let go of his hand. I cleared my throat and said gently "It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Adams"

Mr. Adams (Sr.) said casually as if not having noticed what had occurred, "Evan you will be working a lot with Adriana, treat her well and get to know her, get to know all your workers. It's an important part of running a smooth company with a refreshing atmosphere inside the workplace. When you understand your workers it becomes easier to work with them. Oh by the way Adriana until I step down Evan will be accompanying me in the office, on Monday please arrange for a temporary desk to be placed in my office." he said looking deep in thought.

"Of course sir, I'll get on it as soon as possible" I smiled kindly at the man before me.
Once they had walked away so that Mr. Adams son would be introduced to other employees I sat and kept picking at the fruit and drinking water because I had to drive home. After about thirty minutes I gathered my things and went up to Mr. Adams (Sr) to say goodbye. When I was right next to him I began to feel a little dizzy, I tried shaking it off but it got worse. I fell back as my vision blackened.

~0o0~

My heavy eyelids lifted and I found myself surrounded by people, my head was being held. I looked up and was met by emerald green eyes, I started sitting up and with the help of Evan Adams I got up. "Adriana are you alright? You just fainted out of nowhere?" Mr. Adams (Sr.) asked concerned.

"Yeah I'm okay I was just a little dizzy, it's been a long day, I apologize for that it won't happen again." I strained my voice because a knot had formed in my throat.

"Dear those things happen to us all no need to be so apologetic. I suggest you visit a doctor this weekend and if you need a vacation let me know, don't overwork yourself." Mr. Adams smiled my way with an edge of concern. "Do you want Evan to drive you home and I'll send your car over to your house later or are you okay to drive on your own?"

"Mr. Adams thank you but I don't want to inconvenience anyone, plus I'm quite alright. I just came to say goodbye and make my way home." I tried to reassure Mr. Adams.

Suddenly I heard from behind me, "At least let me walk you to your car so that we all know that you're okay since you don't want me to drive you home." I turned to see that Evan was the one to speak, I nodded and said my goodbyes.

I walked out of the room with the stunning Evan Adams at my side, we went into the elevator to go down to the first floor. We walked across the dark first floor and out of the glass doors to the parking lot. Finally making it to my car I unlocked it, opened my door, and turned around to thank Evan. When I turned I noticed just how close he was, I took a step back. "Uhm thank you so much for walking me to my car and for catching me, that doesn't happen much so I apologize for that." I stuttered through my sentence.

"Not a problem, I hope you make it home safe, be careful out on the road and if you don't feel good just stop on the side of the road." he said sounding stern, I nodded my head. I got inside my car and he closed the door after me, I started my engine and waved goodbye as I pulled out of the parking lot and into the road for my 15 to 20 minute ride home.

***Hello there lovelies, hope you all are enjoying the story so far. I'm trying my best to upload at least twice a week. Thank you for spending time to read my story and for supporting me. As always, please comment and vote.

                                                                                                                                                            Love, Jessica xoxo