A Cup of Coffee

To share a drink is like sharing your free will to others, spreading kindness and sweet thoughts to someone who has seen the worst in others. 

The clouds started to cover the bright blue sky as I served fresh brewed coffee to the fighting couple outside. They were complaining about their communication skills but I thought they were doing well since almost the already noisy streets could clearly hear them fighting over each other. I quietly approached them as they continued to argue but I silenced them with a couple of fake coughs. They turned to me with embarrassed faces, settling down in their chairs. I gave them one of my comforting smiles as I placed their coffees in front of their shy personalities. I watched as the both of them slowly reached for their beverage and sipped their first taste. It was like a relaxed breeze has swept through them and they gave each other loving looks, a sight of true lovers. 

"Does the taste suit the both of you?" I asked holding the trey against my chest.

The couple turned to me and nodded, they continued their earlier conversation but this time they were calm and relaxed. I walked away hearing them reason with each other for a simple solution.  

Returning to the register, I placed the serving tray on the counter. Calming people down is a talent, creating a clear understand takes skill. I don't have either of those gifts but I try my best to do what I can. As I waited for the next order to be brought out I saw through the window a homeless person across the street staring at the lively shop. I wondered if she wanted to come and join the crowd? Or was she afraid for the judging eyes and pitiful stares of what sort of situation she was in at the moment. I knew those stares and I had a drawer of those feelings at the back of my mind since I've been in her shoes before. Not having an income, no one to turn to, being afraid of what could become of me if I wasn't under a safe roof or an environment at the most. All those question danced in my head for over two years before I was found by my savor. 

I didn't know why he helped me but his eyes had this gentle warmth in them. As if they were made of the soft side of the sun. Those amber eyes could calm a ferocious dog to a sweet puppy in seconds. Admiration is what I felt when I stared at him but I think he knew that I wanted something more than sitting and staring at others lives that seemed more than mine. He asked me one question that turned my life around completely from the streets. 

Without giving it a second thought I walked over to the young yet roughed up lady who looked on guard when I approached her. I stopped a few steps away from her and I could see that she was trying to hide her hunger by holder her stomach and her hands were clutching to a grocery bag. I saw that it was filled with cans and trash. It was not for eating but recycling. I could smell her unwashed clothes but I did not mind. 

"What do you want?" she hissed at me as I was observing her life through what I saw in her.

"A treat," I answered her and saw the confused face. 

"Well I have none to offer and I don't swing that way," she was smart and hard headed. That's good, she will survive life then. 

"Do you like food?" I asked with my head tilted slightly. 

She gave me this stunned face and I knew that the question seemed childish but her eyes searched for any jokes that could be dancing in my eyes. She was waiting for the mean tease and laughter from behind. But she saw that I was serious and was not joking around at all. 

"I love it," she mumbled and started to feel uncomfortable for herself. 

"Then please come along with me," I gently got her rough hand and tugged her towards the cafe. 

"Where are you dragging me?" she demanded to know. 

"To a meal," I told her and pulled her to the kitchen, ignoring the stares and gasps for my actions but the workers and manager knew too well that I would not back down for what I was doing. Oh yeah, this was not the first time I've done this, believe them.