Chapter 28: For Revenge

Cinna's tired face looks down at me. Black bags under his eye and a unshaved jaw. Bruises all over his face and arms. "Cinna..." I whisper. My old friend back. He smiles down at me. Finnick sits in a seat next to me and Johanna, holding her knees to her chest, next to him. I wasn't in the infirmary but in the waiting area.  

"Hello, Katniss." Cinna says smoothly. 

"How did you..." I shake my head. Giving myself a massive headache. 

"Hey don't move too much." Haymitch walks in. "You're still banged up." 

"Exactly! She should be taken care of!" Gale marches in after him.  

"Listen here Hawthorne. Katniss is going to want to be here! Okay. So shut your mouth and sit your ass down." Finnick stands up and puffs his chest out to Gale. Gale breaths hard.  

"Soldier Hawthorne at ease." Cyprus and Ares walk in. A party...great. The room still spinning and I don't exactly remember what happened. "We have news about the bombing. Seventy-seven people dead, forty are in critical condition. The peacekeepers were ordered and sent here to find rebel Cinna Vaughn." Cyprus reads off of a tan folder.

The memory comes back. The shaking. Running. The dust. Stopping. Watching the people...die. Gale. Peeta......... 

"Peeta!" I jump out of my seat and scream. Finnick grabs me quickly and holds me down.  

"Sweetheart!" Haymitch holds my shoulders. "He's in there. The doctors will be out shortly."  

"Why calm her down? Huh?" Johanna makes everyone's heads turn to face her. Even me, though I still struggle to get up. "She just saw the only person that she can keep in her arms, get his leg blown off. How can you even DARE to tell her to shut it. Because that's what you're doing." Johanna reaches over and grabs my hand, that was clawing at Finnick's arm. Haymitch glares at Johanna and sits back down.  

"The bombers they came because of Cinna?" Gale asks. 

"Yes, they still don't know they-" Referring to me, Peeta, Finnick, and Johanna. "-are here." Ares says crossing his arms. 

"So you did this?" Gale turns to Cinna. Everyone knew what was going to happen. I didn't stop it... "You risked all our lives. For your own?" Cinna sits down and holds his head with his hands. "You killed seventy people for your life. There's a thing called sacrifice. Taking for the team. Risking yourself for others." Gale gets louder and louder. No one stopped him. But everyone was listening. Cinna gets up and walks out of the metal doors.

"Evening." The doctor walks in. I try jumping to my feet, but Finnick has the advantage. "Peeta's looks to be fine. Sadly, a bit more of the aputated area was gone. He'll just have to use a longer prosthetic device and/or leg. He'll be good to leave in twenty-four hours."

I let out the deepest breath. I rest my head on the back of the chair and closed my eyes. Finnick's arm had let go slowly. I here foot steps exiting but I don't dare look. He's safe...not dead. "Are you going to stay here?" Haymitch's voice breaks through my silence. 

"All night." I reply.

Later Haymitch brought me a pillow and blanket, I took it. Finnick and Johanna tried to feed me food but I want hungry. Cyprus tried to convince me to start training tomorrow morning, I refused. Plutarch came in to apologize that he couldn't come and give his condolences, I forgave him silently. Cinna came but didn't say anything and sat drawing in his book, I ignored him. I requested that Gale wouldn't be allowed to come in at all.  

"Are you just going to stay here all night?" Ares walks in. I turn my head into my pillow I adjusted on a chair. Not the most comfortable position. "Fine then." He sits across from me. "He's in recovery. The doctors here work fast." 

"I've heard." I reply.  

"Are you going to show up tomorrow?" Ares asks. 

"I already refused. I'm not going back until Peeta is recovered...fully." I say. 

"I can make that arrangement happen." Ares says. 

"You think I'm giving up don't you?" I turn around facing him. 

"To be honest, everyone is..." Ares folds his arms. 

"I wouldn't. I still have Prim and my mother to think of." I reply. 

"Are you going to just wait then?" Ares challenges me. 

"No." I say angrily. He nods and smiles. "What?" I demand. 

" Then don't let this stop you." Ares counters. How could he? Peeta had his leg blown up and he wants me to forget about it. I glare at him. "Come on Katniss. Peeta's fine, he's strong. He wouldn't want to to sit around waiting when you can be ready to fight back."  

I was still rubbed the wrong way. "Think of it this way. Having revenge. Revenge for Prim, your mother, your father, Peeta, Rue, Annie, and all the other innocent kids. All the Districts. All those families suffering." Ares says. He had a point. 

"I'll be there tomorrow....I'm still staying the night." I demand.  

"Okay." Ares chuckles. He stands up and straightens his black clothing. "I wanna see you there, 6 am sharp, Solider Everdeen." He raises his three fingers up to his forehead. I raise mine and we salute. I smile.

------------ 

"Katniss....Katnisssssss." Finnick's voice says annoyingly. I open my eyes to find Finnick and Johanna, distant, in front of me. "You're awake! Come on, Ares is waiting." I groan. My eyes puffy from dreams I had last night. I could fight the nightmare and the tears came raining down. 

"You okay?" Johanna waits for me as Finnick marches out. I nod. She puts her arm around my shoulder. "Good." She rubs her knuckles on my head. It hurt, but it was nice to see a bit of the old obnoxious Johanna back.

"Good morning." Ares yells, as his voice booms off the concrete walls. The training room was not destroyed in the bombing. "Plutarch and Cyprus have just informed me some news." He says in a solemn tone. Then the big metal doors open. Peeta wheels in with Haymitch.  

"I'm in a wheelchair for the day." Peeta smiles. I break into a sprint. I reach Peeta and kneel down and hug him tightly.  

"Don't cry." I whisper to myself. He kisses my forehead. "I'm never leaving your side. Okay." I feel my throat tighten. I pull away and he gently kisses my lips.  

"Okay, okay. Very touching." Haymitch says. 

"Leave them alone you grump!" Johanna says. Finnick whistles. Gale ignores everyone.

"Are you fine? How badly does it hurt?" I ask quickly. 

"Katniss." Peeta interrupts me. "I'm fine. Trust me. Okay..." He smiles reassuringly. I stand and grab the handles of the wheelchair from Haymitch. I wheel him to the area we were all standing before. Ares looks at me.  

"I was wrong." Ares smirks. He was wrong, I'm not giving up. 

"Hey, What was the news you were about to give?" Gale asks annoyed. 

"We have today and tomorrow to get everything down and ready. You're leaving for the Capitol soon, very soon." Ares announces.