Chapter 27: White Bodies

Gale and Finnick begin to led us to the west wing. Suddenly a swarm of people begin running. We all come to a halt. Peeta runs into my back. Pushing me off balance. The floor shakes hard. Everyone stops running towards us. There's a loud crack, the roof begins to cave in. "RUN RUN RUN!" Gale pushes everyone. Behind us the roof falls flat on what we had just stepped on. Peeta keeps pulling me forward. Finnick does the same with Johanna.

The debris clouds our vision. Suddenly the roof stops collapsing. I begin coughing terribly. Everyone waves their hands getting rid of the dust clouds. Peeta takes off his jacket and presses it against my mouth and nose. Gale walks closer to the gap. A small cylinder with a blinking light falls directly down. It rolls to my feet. A beeping sounds faster and faster. 

"No!" Gale picks me up and runs. "PEETA!" I scream.

The bomb goes off. A flash of white light turn into red, orange, and yellow flames. "PEETA! PEETA!" I scream. Gale throws me down and covers me with his body. His nose inches from mine. His hand wrapped over my mouth.

The sound of shoes bang on the floor. Foot steps walking closer. I close my eyes. "Shh..." Gale whispers. Multiple gun shots go off.

"Get up." Haymitch stands holding a machine gun. Gale helps me up. I push him out of the way. White bodies scattered on the floor. "He's over there." Haymitch points.

Peeta lays face down. I run over. His prosthetic leg is blown off and a bit more. I cup my mouth, the blood I can't take. "Peeta..." I get on my knees. I'm scared to touch him, to move him. Johanna and Finnick are curled up in a corner staring at me.

"DO SOMETHING!" I scream. Doctors rush down the hallway Haymitch came through, the hallway we were running for. Ares pulls me away from Peeta. Finnick stands up and takes me from Ares arms. Gale walks up and offers to take me from Finnick.

"You've done enough...don't you think?" Finnick says to him. "I need Peeta." I say over and over. "I know, I know." Finnick says.

"How is she?" A firmilar voice echos. "She's not all there." Finnick places me down. I silently sob and keep my eyes shut.

"Katniss, I'm still betting on you." Cinna says. Cinna?