1/1

(I know this cover is shit but idc it's midnight and I made it in less than five minutes so w/e)

Hi okay so basically, I feel that there is a large shortage of fanfics (and published books too tbh) that include transgender characters. However, I've also found that some (not all, but some) of the very few stories I've seen with trans characters are inaccurate and/or disrespectful, at least in some aspects. At some point while thinking about this, I ended up going on a half-hour rant in my head, and then I decided to write it down into something more articulate. Ta-da.

So yeah I'm just gonna jump right into it and tell you some of the "do"s and "don't"s of writing trans characters, plus some general things to know before you start writing - tips, reminders, stereotypes to avoid, things like that.

1. Do your fucking research. This may seem obvious and quite general for any story, but I'm gonna say it anyways, because chances are there are people who are like "oh I think I'm gonna write about a trans character" but who don't have any idea how to go about it. Research different terms and their meanings, research transition processes if you plan for your character to physically transition, even talk to a trans person (if you can) about things you aren't sure about. Don't just wing it and hope you're accurate.

2. If your character is "pre-op" (they haven't transitioned yet, but they plan to), try not to make the whole story about them wanting to transition. Obviously this can be a main plot point, but don't make their transness their one defining feature. All trans people are different, so flesh out their personalities just as you would a cis character. Focusing solely on a trans person's body parts objectifies trans people. We are more than what's in our pants.

3. In the US, surgeries are hella expensive. Your story is set in the US, then that shit is like $10,000 at least, depending on what you're going for, and there's a whole process to it. Unless your character is rich or a celebrity or something, getting a surgery (or multiple surgeries) could potentially become a fucking life investment. In other countries such as the UK, though, surgery is much more affordable and usually at least partly covers the cost, so like I said, do your research about wherever your story is set.

4. Not all trans people want to get any sort of surgery. This is a common and harmful stereotype that leads to people saying that trans people who don't want to "aren't really trans." By extension, not all trans people experience gender dysphoria (if you don't know what that is: in a very basic definition, a feeling of being upset, dissatisfied, etc, with the body you were born in, specifically in regards to your sex and the gender you were assigned at birth). Some people may be fairly happy with the genitals they were born with and simply identify with a gender that doesn't "match." This doesn't make them any less trans - you don't have to write your character as wanting surgery or feeling dysphoric as a requirement of being trans. (Obviously you can - this is just a reminder that you do not have to depending on your character.) Don't say that a character is "not really trans" just because they haven't gotten a surgery. Don't say that, for example, a trans male is only "half" a man or "not really a man" or "still a woman" or any of that shit. I feel like that should be pretty obvious, but I'm gonna say it anyway. The only way I'd be accepting of that is if the words are coming from an intentionally transphobic asshole character.

5. Don't do forced reveals. Apparently, this trope is somewhat common, so I wanted to address it: sometimes in stories with trans characters, the main character will be cis, and then there's this other person whom the main character doesn't know is trans until they, for example, accidentally walk in on the trans person changing. This is considered a "forced reveal," in which it is revealed that the character is trans without the character's consent, and for the love of God, don't do it. Scenarios like those would be absolutely terrifying for many trans people, especially those who aren't "out." I understand that it may only be for dramatic purposes or as a plot twist of some sort, but please refrain from doing it. That trope is often used so that the cis character can be like "oh no it's fine I don't care" and then they get a pat on the back for being a Good Person and yeah it's just really disrespectful and uncomfortable and don't do it. We deserve better than that.