730 Days

Caden:
*************************************
Friday, March 4th
*************************************

The air is crisp, and bites at the tips of our bright red noses.

The freezing wind pushes her scent towards me, but I find it soothing.

It reminds me of home.

I turn my head to the left where she walks beside me, just enough so that I can see her.
Her thick, dark hair lets the wind brush it's strands over her face, and Mabel tugs her hand from her pocket to tuck the loose ends back into place.

She really is adorable. It's astonishing how the smallest things about someone can be the most attractive.

She looks at me.
Brown eyes.
Her brown eyes.

Again, the smallest things.

She slides her other hand out from her pocket and laces her fingers with mine, and it feels like they should be there. Like they're meant to be there.

March 4th.

Today marks the day Mabel and I met. To think that I found her exactly two years ago boggles my mind. It feels like only days ago.

I listen to our footsteps as our feet crunch into the crisp ground below us, and let the noise fill my ears. Then, sidewalk replaces the dirt below us, and the fountain sits only steps from where we stand.

"We made it." I whisper in her ear as I watch my breath disappear in the cool air.

"Yeah," She smiles, "we sure did."

Then out of nowhere, Mabel takes off like a bird, with her hand still in mine. At first I almost slip on the icy concrete, but I keep my balance and manage to catch up with her.

We just make it to the front of the fountain when she pulls me down to her face and forces her lips against mine. I slide the gloves from my hands and let them fall to the ground, then wrap my hands against the side of her face. Her cheeks feel even colder than the air, but I barely notice.

Her mouth is warm, and I let that heat course through me as if its feeding me much wanted energy.

She slides her arms up through mine and wraps them around my neck.

"I don't remember you reacting this way the first time we kissed..." I say through her lips.

She sighs and smiles, "Shut up."

I laugh, "I love you."

Mabel looks down and buries her head in my chest, inhaling my jacket.

"I love you too." She says through the fabric of my coat.

I can't help but smile.

"I remember when you took me here. It feels like only yesterday." I tell her.

"Yeah, only it was raining." Mabel says, then picks her head up and looks around. "Only it was much more springy-er..."

We both laugh, "Yes," I add, "much more springy-er. For a professional writer, I'd expect finer english out of you."

"It's 'better english,' hot shot."

We both laugh again until I pull her in for another kiss.

She shuffles her feet backwards to one of the benches, signaling her wanting us to continue this sitting down.

I move with her until I feel her weight off my chest and her lips pull away from my face. As soon as I realize she's sliding backwards, I reach out to grab her hand.
I'm too late.

I watch as her body falls to the ground, and her head slams against the edge of the fountain.

"Whoa," I cry, and immediately bend down to help her up. "Are you okay?"

No response, and her eyes don't open. I try tugging on her arms, but she doesn't move. I start to panic.
I'll have to get her up on the bench.

My hand delicately slides under her head, but my fingers don't meet with her soft, rich hair. Instead, they become coded in a thick, sticky, warm liquid.

Blood.

"No...No, Mabel! Mabel, answer me! C'mon, Mabel!" I shout at her limp body.

I pick her up and move her to the bench, and rest her head under my coat.

I whip out my phone and quickly dial 911.

My eyes lock on her bleeding head. "Come on Mabel," I whisper to her, "wake up."

All I want - all I need - is to see those deep brown eyes. I never thought that one of the smallest things could make the worlds difference.
But please Mabel.

Prove me wrong.